Posts By Akshay
Wow a lot is happening on NG. Rohit and mods some suggestions
– If you look at any comments which are derogatory against a certain actor, which are praising someone to the hilt without making sense or which are just meaningless in the overall scheme of things; do see that you point it out to the person over email. Warn them over email, give a friendly advise once, twice before imposing a ban
– Dont use this forum to warn a member or get into these discussions. Damn its your site and you should run it the way you best rather than getting into “who is right, who is not”. Use your judgement and let others live with it
– Have a thread which simply says “Ban History” where only you can comment and you just keep posting “XYZ” member has been banned for x days/lifetime. No explanation required
– Be a little strict and stop taking nonsense of any kinds. Damn the rule book (people always find ways to tweak around them), and use your judgement. With these steps the overall traffic, pageviews etc would decrease in short-term but over a long term duration you are making your site attractive to a class of people who’d love to be a part of some meaningful discussions; who’d love to spend some real quality time in the company of exciting folks around
Excerpt from the article on TechCrunch http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/19/yc-backed-cant-wait-is-a-mobile-social-network-for-movie-trailers/
Can’t Wait is a slick mobile movie trailer player built on top of YouTube’s API. It’s hardly the first app that includes movie trailers (see the movie apps like Flixster and Fandango, …
I was watching this video and because of the flavor of the season I was trying to relate it to the movie Guzaarish.
Berkley Bionics have created a product eLegs that would help paraplegics up and walking. Time magazine calls …
Some more suggestions which I think should further improve the overall NG experience. Sorry that I keep coming up with them all the time
This is in continuation from my previous post http://www.naachgaana.com/2010/06/04/ng-new-proposed-changes/
Here they are
- Somewhere to define a bigger purpose of NG. Is it just a community where people discuss movies? Is it a source where people can look for some better and more accurate BO Classification? Whichever direction RKB would like to take it to it would help to know that
Went to see Dabangg yesterday and what an atmosphere it was. Saw a mainstream movie after a long time with rustic setting. Reminded me of cinema in the 80′s.
I guess the real reason why Bhojpuri cinema became so popular was because people wanted to see this kind of stuff but Bollywood was not offering any of that. To hell with intelligent cinema, we Indians love our masala
The movie was purely a vehicle to showcase Salman. As some of you mentioned he has looked very confident as probably he is playing a person quite close to what he is in real life. I see this movie running successfully in single screens for a good few weeks.
What has made the movie successful is, in my opinion, the very fact that there is a Salman in all of us. All of us want to have fun, indulge in silly conversations, just let our hair down, put the seriousness aside and just enjoy Life the “desi” way. Salman plays all this with huge panache, the way only he can
I have been on NG for a couple of months now and realise that SRK/Aamir is by far the most talked about topic. If I may say, SRK vs Aamir is the biggest trending topic on NG ever since I joined and from what I hear it looks like, same was the case before it.
RKB if you are making any money from advertising on this site please contribute a little to SRK and Aamir. You know its because of them
Now this article is about me adding fuel to the already burning fire. I am not a big fan of any of the star and here I’d like to bring in my observation about what I think of SRK/Aamir. All the views expressed here are my only so please don’t shoot me if you do not like anything that you read here, we can always have a meaningful dialog around it. I have tried to look at both the actors not from the eyes of a fan but from someone who has been watching both of them keenly for many years now. I think this is what even the public perception would be about them
Shahrukh Khan : I think he is a naturally gifted actor. A man with a lot of eloquence and a fantastic gift of the gab. With the kind of actor and person he is I don’t doubt that he would have been successful in any generation. He has always mentioned that he does everything for money and I quite like that candor and confession which most others would never admit even though they are doing the same. The man has an incredible sense of humor and can set alight any gathering or party by his sheer presence and energy. The way he has made his name in the industry without any family history is absolutely incredible and stuff that legends are made of.
Sorry about the offensive looking title but as you can understand I am just back after watching Peepli Live. A story about rural India which does not know about the internet or the iPhones or racing cars.
Now this is not a review, instead it is related to a thought that struck me while watching the movie. In my opinion, nothing unites India more than these expletives or gaalis. I have travelled across the length and width of the country and if there is one thing that unites all of us irrespective of language, religion, social status it has to be use of these wonderful colorful words
I was thinking what could be the reason for that? Why is it that even when you meet a Kashmiri or a Tamil they would refer to some stupid person as a ch@t!@?
Possibly is it because when the civilisation developed this was the first need of the people and they learnt to abuse each others. Over the years it evolved and reached a stage where it was accepted everywhere and no urge was felt on improvising I mean for years I am seeing everything changing around me but these words stood the test of time. Heck I think even “Namaste” is not popular as some of the other words (you know which)
CWG are just around 2 months away and I hope it turns out to be an event which the nation can be proud of. India’s presence in the global economy is definitely increasing and am sure that we will be …
Lets give a little break to SRK/Aamir/Akshay and instead talk about how do you think Indian sportspersons can be rated amongst generations. I dont think there is any list like that so maybe if we can make a good one, RKB might have a chance to grab some headlines
There have been various sports personalities in India who have done well despite odds and made a name for themselves. To name a few of them
- Saina Nehwal
- Prakash Padukon
- Sania Mirza
- Leander Paes
- Mahesh Bhupathi
- Ramesh Krishnan / Ramanathan Krishnan
- Vijay Amirtraj
- Milkha Singh
- P T Usha
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Kapil Dev
- Sunil Gavaskar
- Mohindar Amarnath
- Geet Sethi
- Vishwanathan Anand
- Dhanraj Pillay
- Abhinav Bindra
- Baichung Bhutia
- Suresh Kalmadi (Just Kidding )
Article by Priya Ramani , Originally published here
Recently Iâ€™ve become increasingly convinced that Iâ€™m not an Indian. After all, it is possible that someone did a baby switch at Breach Candy Hospital where I was born, or that my parents have carefully hidden the truth about me for 40 years.
Quick proof that Iâ€™m not Indian? I have no furious loyalties to the Baganapalli or Alphonso. In fact, I can think of at least six fruits that I prefer to the mango. I have never eaten an entire paan or a pot of mishti doi (though I have tried both) and I donâ€™t spit in public or private (except for that one time I tried a meetha paan).
donâ€™t understand that other national obsession, cricket, either. White is not my favourite skin colour. I donâ€™t read Chetan Bhagat or Paulo Coelho. I feel depressed every time I wear a salwar-kameez. No sir, I will not discuss my private life with a stranger on a train journey. And I donâ€™t think Iâ€™ve ever begun a conversation with: â€œYouâ€™ve lost/gained so much weight!â€
Rohit and everyone, I was reading the argument about BO discussions and how it is a problem to some and how there are a lot of fans who wants to ensure that their stars are in limelight all the time.Â I agree that there are a lot of BO Threads for a movie. I propose a slight modification in NG layout to solve this to a certain extent
So if we have a layout like this where there are 3 prominent boxes at the top always (BO, Movie Review or Featured Post) and only Rohit has the ability to decide what goes in there. You can make sure that for BO or for Movie Review there is only one thread and any other threads are automatically deleted. This way you can always have control on what things are highlighted prominently and at the same time the discussions can all happen at one place.
People like me, who are not, interested in the BO thread can decide not to take a look at them and still be interested in the site. OFcourse this is only for illustration
“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.” – Â Bill Shankly, One of the most respected football manager
These are my random comments after watching Kites yesterday (Saturday 7PM Adlabs)
- Half of the theater was empty which is definitely not good news
- You just don’t connect (for some reasons) with the characters at an emotional level. So you dont really feel anything, inspite of a tragic end
- Hrithik looks great. I dont think any other Indian actor has looked better, ever (This just might be my opinion, Dharmendra looked great in his hey days )
- Finally This movie, in my opinion, has been made as an attempt to sell HR to Hollywood. Rakesh Roshan or Hrithik are definitely not stupid to have such an expensive movie released with almost no Hindi Dialogs in it. The Roshan’s understand the pulse of Indian audience and have quite a good grip at their cinema. Watching every frame of the movie made me believe, that this is not for Indian audience and guess they were expecting losses for it. All they want is to ensure that HR gets a good visibility in Hollywood. He has the looks, the charisma. As some of you mentioned that even though his friend was speaking in Hindi HR used English, there are no lip songs, the use of an actress of Spanish/Mexican origin et al, all these make me believe that there is much more to this movie then what we see.
I am working on creating my own Movie Library. It will be great if you guys can tell me 5 of your most favorite Hindi movies. I know you all might like to add a lot to your lost but I’d like only 5 from everyone so that you include only those movies which you really like.
Lets have fun creating a nice thread which we can use as a reference to build our own DVD Library
Here is my list
1) Sholay : Right there at the top; have seen it umpteenth time and still can’t get enough of it. Has elements of comedy, action, drama, romance everything