Akshay is the ‘Khiladi’ Number 1-Mid Day

In 2012, Akshay Kumar had five releases at the box office. And four of them went on to make box office successes. The trade feels Akki is slowly but surely turning out to become the biggest star in the country. And in terms of box office figures, he is second to none.

Akshay Kumar

After an average couple of years, last year proved to be the biggest year for the star in his over two decade-long career. And with Neeraj Pandey’s Special 26 releasing today, it is only going to be better from here onwards.

Akki’s recent joining hands with Karan Johar also set tongues wagging. Many eyebrows were raised at the two formidable forces in Bollywood combining their strengths. That’s not all, he is also in the process of inking multiple deals with other companies as well. Akki also has several films signed under his home production banner as well as outside.

Trade expert Amod Mehra says, “If there is anyone after the Khans, it has to be Akshay. The only difference between the Khans and Akshay is that Akshay does four to five films every year. Unlike the others, he has a fan-following from the age group of two to 60. Plus he is not as aggressive in terms of marketing and promoting his image compared to the Khans. He is a hard worker and does versatile films.”

Girish Wankhede, official spokesperson of a popular multiplex chain, says, “An Akshay Kumar film means a guaranteed box office opening and multiplex owners love him. There is nothing to worry when one of his films is about to hit the marquee. He is one actor who despite being a superstar does not shy away from experimenting with his roles. Akshay is not only versatile, he doesn’t hesitate to take risks.”

‘Loyalty is precious and rare’

Is tying up with Karan Johar a first step in the long-term plan to build the Brand Akshay?
It’s not about that, especially with Dharma Productions. It’s about expanding both our father’s companies through the only way we know how — making honest films with honest people. It’s more about ‘How can we make our project memorable? So it’s not just another brick in the wall or a DVD on the shelf’. We’ve both made our own way in our own little worlds; we just thought that now is a good time to be on the same page.

A lot has been riding on your shoulders. Do you feel under pressure?
It’s not the money that puts the pressure. It’s the people that have it that puts the pressure. Nah, I’m kidding! The thought of pushing myself with things that are out of my control would be suicidal. I do my best, I give everything a producer could wish for and more. If my films work, it’s a blessing, if they don’t I genuinely make sure my producers don’t suffer — by making another film that would benefit them even more. I’m not an unreasonable man. If you stand by me, I’ll stand by you. Loyalty is extremely precious. And also rather rare.

Would you consider Special 26 an experiment in your career?
No. It was something I’ve waited a long time for, I knew it would be a challenge. I did it for personal reasons rather than its commercial status. I went into the project knowing I would walk away feeling like a different man. And now I feel like a different actor and that is priceless.

At this stage of your career, are you being choosy about work?
I think every actor is choosy at all points of his or her career. When people see me doing something out of my norm, it’s, ‘Oh, so you are finally doing something meaningful and different. Why now, why not years ago?’ When actually I’m just making the most of the opportunities that come my way. When this film came to me, I folded my hands in gratitude at the chance that I was being given. It wasn’t a calculated move; it was simply an honour.

How much are you creatively involved in your production company with Ashvini Yardi?
There’s no point in having a company if you can’t give your heart and soul to it. The best part about releasing a film under your banner is knowing how much care and attention you have given it. I have a great team and greater the team, greater the creativity that flows through the walls. So far it’s been a dream come true.

Family comes first for Akshay

Akshay Kumar is a family man and is known to strike a balance as far as his personal and professional life is concerned. He says, “It’s easy. You put your family first, you can give every ounce of energy left to your work with a full heart and a clear conscience. If I knew my family was sad or is suffering, I cannot work like I do. There is no life without family. Why work this hard and ruin the only thing worth working for?”

Speaking about his four- month-old daughter Nitara, Akshay says, “I have to pry her out of the hands of all the other women in my family so that I can get my own hands on her. She’s a very happy baby. My wife (Twinkle) always says she tries so hard to please me when I come into the room. She’s all of four months but she’s all smiles and gurgles at the moment. Our home couldn’t be happier right now.”

Akki’s report card of 2011-12

In the last couple of years Akshay Kumar has had about eight releases. The all-India business of the films stand at:
2011
Patiala House – Rs 28 crore
Desi Boys – Rs 42 crore

2012
Housefull 2 – Rs 115 crore
Rowdy Rathore – Rs 138 crore
Joker – Rs 22 crore
OMG: Oh My God! – Rs 88 crore
Khiladi 786 – Rs 79.5 crore
Incidentally the India business of Akshay’s films so far stands at around Rs 1,960 crore in his 20-year career.

The figures are much more than any other actor in Bollywood so far.

1. Gorilla
    Gorilla
    February 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Asli power Dil mein hoti hai -> Har dil mein hai rab bastaa , sable bada KHILADI woh hai…tarah tarah ke khel hai rachtaa!

Abhi to shuruaat hai,
    Once Upon a time in Mumbai ke baad BOSS ki Baraat hai!

Jai ho, Veeru bhi ho, Basanti bhi ho…aur Gabbar bhi :lol:

2. Gorilla
    Gorilla
    February 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM

*Sabse Bada Khiladi*

3. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

hmmm… 1500 words – it must have made a dent of at least 1.5 lakhs in akshay’s media spending budget as mid day is a very popular newspaper in mumbai.

sabse bada khiladi whose last 5 films average opening is 7 cr . (5+6+6+4 +14 = 35 divided by 5 = 7 cr)

@gorilla- sabse bada khiladi with 7 out of 9 khiladi flims flopping.

@ank – will… would… shall… shuold…can….could…if…but….

4. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

@ank – but didnt u beleive in taking stock of ‘current’ position?

overall mein jaoge to akshay bas sunil shetty ke ooper aayega aur govinda sunny ke bhi peechhe ho jaayega. salman ka to sapna bhi mat dekho.

akshay last 5 films average opening day 7 cr

sharukh – 11 cr (with 4 of the films being a year or more old wen openings were much lesser)

salman – 20 cr (with 3 of the films being a year or more old)

sapnon ki duniya se baahar aao. akshay ki aukaat sabko pata hai

5. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

@ank – peechhe ki chhod, aage ki soch

i think that was ur mantra wen u wrote of all of salman’s acheivements between 1988-1999 wen u were assessing his fortunes between 2000-2009 (the then ‘current’ decade)

but ab 2000-2009 ki kya relevance hai? ab ya to recent dekho ya overall.

6. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

MPK aur HAHK ka naam akshay fans ki zabaan par achchha nahin lagta. naye rule ke mutabiq MPK aur HAHK ka naam ussi stars ke fans lenge jisne kam se kam ek ATBB di ho.

7. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

@ank – can i have the names of 23 akshay hits ? all verdicts by boi please.

8. danish
    danish
    February 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

here is my list of akshay hits by boi. kindly add to it with links from boi

1. mohra
    13 houseful
    14 housefull 2
    15 rowdy rathore

9. Aditya007
    Aditya007
    February 9, 2013 at 6:58 PM

1- Khiladi 2- Mohra ,Sabse bada khiladi , kHiladiyon ka khiladi , ye dil lagi, elan, Andaz, phir hera pheri , Bhsgam bhag, msk , NL, HB, BB, Welcome ,HF, HF2, RR, OMG

10. Aditya007
    Aditya007
    February 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM

*Singh Is King

11. VICKAI
    VICKAI
    February 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Special 26 Saturday Collection. Early Estimates.

Special 26 has shown big growth in Saturday business. It is registering huge occupancy of 60-70%+ in Evening shows at the box office. Special 26 started decently on Saturday Morning with occupancy of 35-40% on average, better than Friday. Noon shows sustained well after that with occupancy of 40-50%. But from evening onwards occupancy has just skyrocketed upwards.

Many major plexes are reporting sold out or near about sold out shows for the evening shows. Advance booking report for the rest of the day is also very good. Infact in many places occupancy of night shows shoule be bigger than evening shows. This is just great news for the makers.

Special 26 collected around 7 crore nett on first day which is just decent. But with growth showing on Saturday it should collect in the range of 9-10 crore nett, if all goes well. Special 26 two day total is now heading for 16 crore nett mark or even more. Good jump on Saturday means it is well accepted and might show greater jump on Sunday also.

12. danish
    danish
    February 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

@ank – why have u included semi hits when counting hits for akshay kumar?

ye beimaani kahaan se seekhi? akshay ke small time cheat/fraud/rogue ke roles waali filmein dekh dekh ke?