Box office numbers can be deceptive: Aamir Khan ( I have always said so.)

“A large number of people might see the film because a star is there. Numbers can be deceptive. To me success means when we as a creative team sit together to watch a film before it releases… (do we) feel that we have succeeded in making what we set out to do. If the team feels we have come close, it’s the first sign of success,” said Aamir.
“I have never looked at figures. I am the last person to look at figures at the outset. I look at them in retrospect as it helps me gauge how well a film of mine has been received. It is one of the yard sticks. I use them to understand how my film has fared, how people have reacted to it,” he said.
Aamir feels even though a film may earn a lot of money at the BO but there are chances that not many people may like it.
“Let’s say a film had done big business but when you ask people how did you like the film, only six or seven people out of ten say it was ok… then is it a successful film ? If another film has done half the business and you ask people how they like it.. if eight to nine out of ten like it.. then,” he said.

1. RJ
    RJ
    November 20, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Utkal do ask Aamir, what he feels about Fanaa as a movie?

2. Sneha_Dagabaaz
    Sneha_Dagabaaz
    November 20, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Lol RJ… The fact is every actor cares bout numbers be it Aamir, Salman or SRK.. Though they may deny on screen.. ” I don’t care for nos ” is usually uttered wen they are riding high on success..
    But I 100% agree with Aamir on one fact that nos can be deceptive and people go to see a star..

3. RJ
    RJ
    November 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Hmmmm…I can asssure you that he will portray a very beautiful picture about what he thinks and what is the “beauty” of that movie. Most I know have hated it, but on the BO it worked..so his statement will also be in accordance with that.

Bahut aasaan hota hai badi badi baatein karna, but it’s not so hunky dory when your films don’t perform at the BO, however good you think the film might be.

4. FS
    FS
    November 20, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Again he is telling the truth… There is no Genuine or Universal Site for Box Office collection. It varies from site to site and trade pundits to trade pimps. So the numbers can be deceptive…

5. Alfa.one
    Alfa.one
    November 20, 2012 at 7:15 PM

“No. When have you heard him speak very highly of Fanaa? Can you quote one interview?”

@Utkal – Try to find out his interviews with Kajol before the release and u will get the answer !!

6. dr.nick
    dr.nick
    November 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM

insecure!!the only way to find out if a movie ig god or not or has been liked or not is to ask every person to give his opinion on the movie.i know many ppl who didnt like taare zameen par.before anyone jumps on me saying rickshawallas dont understand quality let me specify that those guys were doctors.so does that mean tzp isnt a good film?ofcourse not.it was liked by majority who have seen the film.similarly if other movies are also liked by majority those are also good movies.and cinema is so subjective that it doesnt require a degree to appreciate it.rowdy rathore was a good film.majority who saw it enjoyed it.but media doesnt give it due acknowledgement.

7. dr.nick
    dr.nick
    November 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM

*is good

8. Kunal
    Kunal
    November 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM

The thing is..just by looking at bo figures…its not easy to tell whether the movie was liked or not… A movie can have a great opening… And opening doesnt mean single day…bt the whole weekend… Because the hype for a big movie stays for the weekend atleast…after that it may not follect that much…but the overall collections would still be high because of the great opening.. And people may say it was liked… On the contratry it was watched by many because of hype and star power…but not really liked that much… And also one cannont just classify a movie as liked or not liked…there are varrying degrees of likeness… For a masala entertainer… A movie needs to be just moderately liked to work… However you cant compare it to a movie like oh my god…which was loved or liked a great deal by the people who watched it!

9. ank_16n
    ank_16n
    November 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I Toh loved Fanaa……
    and i do know atleast 15 out of 20 friends who loved Fanaa…..

10. iitianWay
    iitianWay
    November 20, 2012 at 8:12 PM

for me ..AK was ak47 / ak56 in jo jeeta wohi Sikndar..and sarfarosh…Now having good hopes from talaash..lets see on 1st dec.

11. Serenzy
    Serenzy
    November 20, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Kajol was the Star of Fanna for Me and I Quite Like the Movie Unlike Others[Infact, I Liked it More than Pretentitous/Overrated RDB in the Same Year].

‘Chaand Sifaarish’ is One of My AllTime Favourite Tracks.

And that Kid who Acted in Fanna, Ali[Also in Tara Rum Pum, Partner] he is from Our Locality.

I have kinda Seen him Play with the Other Kids and Stuff during 2004/05.
    Now, he has Shifted to Mumbai.

12. dwnpiyush
    dwnpiyush
    November 20, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Behti hawa sa hai yeh. Udti patang sa hai yeh.

13. Unregistered Street
    Unregistered Street
    November 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Analyzing the box office of a movie can tell us a lot about how the movie was received by the audience. It’s in my honest opinion the best possible indicator in that regard. But, you have to be able to do understand box office well. Just comparing bare numbers don’t tell shit.

14. Unregistered Street
    Unregistered Street
    November 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

On Fanaa, I’m in the same boat as Ank_16n. Not only do I feel the movie is a decent movie, almost everyone I know has loved that movie, and speak highly of it. I think it’s just an NG culture to bash that movie. And I believe that’s coz the it’s Aamir fans here who are apologetic about it all the times.