Gloriously vague, but not dismissable, Sandy’s views on JTHJ

Saw the film today at Inox, was nearly 55-60 per cent full. The feeling I have is that the film is doing reasonably well, but clearly is no blockbuster success.

Personally I quite liked the film and I believe it will age well. I thought Shah Rukh was wonderful, very consistent and in character throughtout. This is one thing I have to hand him compared to the other Khans. As an actor I believe he has been the most effective and he tends to pitch his characters correctly, something which Aamir has not managed to do all the time.

The story too worked for me. I didnt find it puerile as some others did…perhaps my expectations were lower. I found the story perfectly plausible, but was let down severely by having a weak actress in the lead. Now the central love story required passionate lovers – no matter what the makers tried – making Kat gyrate, having her wear off shoulders, innumerable smooches, she cannot elicit the slightest bit of oomph. That’s the problem here. Zero sexuality and chemistry…and this is no fault of SRK. This weakens the premise a lot. When Kat makes a re entry, and the couple reunites it should have given the audience goosebumps (remember Amitabh-Rekha in Silsila, Rishi-Sri in Chandni, Ash-Salman in Hum Dil, or SRK-Kajol in DDLJ) . That doesn’t happen because Kat is incredibly dull as an actress. She looks beautiful of course but is very listless. This is felt most in scenes where Anushka and she share screen time. The former’s performance throbs with life, and though she’s getting repetitive and Im no fan of her overt smugness, Anushka knows how to act, how to say her dialogues..and pull off her role with elan.

I didnt mind the coincidences so much. It doesn’t outrage your sense of logic any more than the average 70s Bolllywood film does. I found Fanaa a bit more incredulous in fact. JTHJ stays engaging throughout and there is always the curiosity to know what will happen next. The most admirable aspect of the film is SRK’s character. Within the span of the film his role still remains a bit shadowy, but there is the right illusion of depth to his character. JTHJ actually has a story that could well have been a novel, because there seems to be a lot in the characters and situations that is left unsaid. For example the crucial parting scene and its strange circumstances. It might have seemed quite plausible if one read it in a book, as much of the happenings are in the characters’ minds! There is complexity befitting a book. As a film, there are limitations and not everything gets executed well. More explaination was needed about SRK leaving too. So the film kind of seems a bit ambigious.

Music was not as fantastic as was expected from Rahman, but that one recurring music piece is glorious.

I enjoyed it overall. all said and done it had a fresh story, and did not insult my intelligence by any means.

1. Jasp the Wasp said:

Very similar WOM is coming out from places.

Some people are really working hard to try and convince NG and TQ people that JTHJ is trending worse than Ra.One. For one, trending worse than Ra.One requires VERY special types of films (if you know what I mean :P) and second, the WOM is actually pretty decent.

Guess fan wars rarely stop on the Internet.

2. Gorilla said:

Great review sandhya. I am a big fan of Katrina and have to concede the fact that she did was a lose end here. She looked gorgeous but her acting ESP in second half as pointed by you left a lot to be desired. I think a Madhuri or Sridevi or Kajol would have made a lot of difference. I should also say that Aditya actually did not etch her character well. Right from her Jesus wish to her refusal to make love with SRK…all looked unestablished. She was made into a whimsical character where an intense character was required. I think it is an equal failure of both Kat and Aditya. Is Yash Chopra had been alive then I would have blamed him too….Lekin let him enjoy in heaven.
    Gr8 to see here again. Do write often….had missed you.

3. Gorilla said:

I also liked JTHJ and felt it was a well filmed movie but hanging on a lose logic of a god fearing lady….looks like she did not see OMG. :)
    3.5/5 from me….saw it FDFS and have also posted my review (sort of)

4. utkal said:

I thought Shahrukh was good as the brooding bomb diffuser but a total failure playing a 25 year old bohemian musician, who knows all the dirty digs in town. He looked more like a middle aged uncle with no zest for life. His body language was all wrong. His mouthing of the Chhalla song pathetic. His kissing and love making scenes were sad. ( He was never good at it. The passion thing never came through even in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna. Someone like Rajesh Khana in Aradhana or aviskar was so many miles ahead . In fact as far as so aclled ‘ romantic’ roles go, post-60′s there is nothing to beat Rrajesh Khanna. Rishi Kpaoor comes a close second. Be it Bobby or Prem Rog he conveyed the obsessions of a lover , both the joys and the pangs, so convincingly.

5. Tango said:

Sandy- Great to see you here, especially….

BTW- My wife was also asking me “Where is your Sandy ji?”, just last week!

6. RedDevil said:

@Sandy: Brilliant write-up Sandy. As usual you are right to the point and quite elusive. Btw, the WOM seems to be good though not extra-ordinary. However, this film breaks the barrier of routine masala flicks and gives something to ponder on the candy-floss film types. Though I still feel Adi should have concentrated a bit in etching out Katrina’s character & other supporting scenes. Nevertheless, need to wait & see how this film fares in the longer run with the combating fight from the other Diwali release. Though the film has nothing to cater to the mass audience. That’s the main reason for SOS’s ascendance in the mass belt circuits. Hope by this weekend we might get a clearer picture on the repeat value.

7. utkal said:

Sernzy: I dont know why they talk of Yash Chopra as the king of romance, when there is hardly an ounce of romance in a film like JTHJ. Barfi for example is far more romantic in any way. And someone like Imtiaz Ali has made far more exciting, varied and flesh and blood romances that Yash Chopra.

8. Asif Anwar said:

Hi Every one,
    I am from Pakistan. Movie released today in Pakistan and I just watched it in cinema. My views are under,

1- SRK as army officer and Anushka were brilliant.
    2- Great visuals
    3- Second half was way better than first one.
    4- Katrina spoiled the movie
    5- Too many songs in first half. After dance number, ishq shiva was needless.
    6- Very few heart touching movements. In veer zara, there were lot of moments where you just feel from you heart but this one lacks. Perhaps this is also due to kat’s poor acting skills. Might be a sad end would have done the trick.

Personally I did not find any false logic or over usage of cinematic liberties.

I would rate it 3/5.

Last feeling is that both music and movie did not came upto expectations. But it is better than don, kank, ra one.

9. Asif Anwar said:

@tango bhai

I have observed that komal nahta is 99% spot on in terms of BO performance of movies. But he has praised jthj too much and has predicted a long run for the movie. Do you think that he will prove right this time as well?

10. Dj said:

Sandy i wish more people (esp Ladies) share the same view on the film as of your. Then it might do good buisness on weekdays.

11. jealous hater of srk said:

good review
    Editor was nt paid diwali bonus that’s y he/she did not do job perfectly
    Srk did fanatastic job so 3.5 out of 5
    ‘Human biengs will like it bieng human’s wil nt like it’

12. Tango said:

Asif Anwar you are right that when Komal predicts good business mostly he is rt, the recent most example SOTY.

In case of Ghajni we had a big debate with him (as even many Amir fans did not like the film) that Ghajni will crash from Monday, but he was correct.

In case of MNIK he had said it will see a heavy fall from 6th day and again he was rt.

13. Asif Anwar said:

@Kunal yes you are right. He gave 2 start to golmaal 3. And I am feeling that he might also go bit wrong in case of jthj as well. The kind of review komal has put in, jthj should break 3idiot records but it is impossible for sure. But as Tango said family audience might play some role here. Don2 was better movie than jthj but wasn’t a family friendly movie.

14. Kunal said:

He is hyping jthj way way too much…from the start only… Its clear that it is not gonna be as big as he is saying or making people believe!

15. Asif Anwar said:

@Prashant SRK is the most popular bollywood start in Pakistan. Response to movie was good. I heard people smiling and laughing many times. A movie like khnh or devdas type would do wonders in Pakistan. But since Pakistan exhibitors started to show Bollywood movies, I think SRK did not delivered such type of movie.

16. Asif Anwar said:

@Kunal but I do not think that he is biased. This is his thinking. As a human being he can be wrong. But we have to wait till Tuesday to judge whether he is right or wrong. But movie is not as bad as uktal is saying.