My take on the word-of-mouth of JAB TAK HAI JAAN

I returned yesterday night from a Kolkata screening of Jab Tak Hai Jaan. Out of four screens, three were devoted to Jab Tak Hai Jaan while one was given to Son of Sardaar. To top that, all three Jab Tak Hai Jaan screens were nearly housefull but the Son of Sardaar screen was practically empty (I could see because INOX does not have security outside every individual screen, at least for the one I went).

I won’t give my review of the film here (you can look it up in my blog by today), but I will try to gauge the audience reactions.

For one, there was no mass hysteria upon SRK’s entry in the film, which is unlike several other centres. Second, the one thing I noticed very clearly is that the dialogues reached straight to the audiences; they laughed at all the right places and were emotionally silent in the requisite sequences. In particular, the Ishq Dance-Ishq Shava sequence got a lot of surprised and excited murmuring. There were, however, exasperated sounds being made at some of the ridiculous portions of the film (not unexpected).

The climax seemed to satisfy though not really amaze; I am guessing that the predictability let it down a bit. After the film, the reaction could be best summed up as good to pretty good (my friend who accompanied me from Kharagpur went ga-ga over the film, though that’s understandable considering that he really likes romantic films). I could judge that sentiment and soulfulness had won over a lot of the audience, but few (if any) would be thinking of it as some classic or great film.

For those of you who were expecting near 3 Idiots word-of-mouth, I’d say your dream is distant. However, for those who were expecting outright rejections or hugely negative word-of-mouth a la Ra.One style, I’m afraid that you are even more distant from your dream. Suffice it to say, Jab Tak Hai Jaan will do well but will be nothing earth-shattering or all-consuming for the audiences, though I am sure that the repeat audience will be significant.

1. jealous hater of srk
    jealous hater of srk
    November 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM

fanatastic post…
    Bt abt wom i went wit my friends abt 15.11 of us loved the movie 4 of them wer nt happy by pacing so they nly liked it..

2. jealous hater of srk
    jealous hater of srk
    November 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM

lol…its chirag and cn u plz tel how do u thnk family audience response and youth’s response to it?

3. RedDevil
    RedDevil
    November 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM

@Jasp: Thanks for the post. As usual honest take from you .. Hope d film sustains & grows on from here .. Need to wait & see what will be d first week numbers.

4. jealous hater of srk
    jealous hater of srk
    November 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

k.thanks last one
    Ur fav scene in movie?

5. assmasala
    assmasala
    November 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

My Fav scene…

Samar to meera : “agar main tumhein kiss karunga toh tum thappad toh nahin marogi na??”

CLASSIC!!

Shah was sooooooooooooooo freaking brilliant in that scene…

6. ady_koolz
    ady_koolz
    November 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Has this movie really got good WOM , i doubt it but what the heck if bodyguard can be blockbuster then this is like mughal-e-azam in front of it…

7. RedDevil
    RedDevil
    November 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

@ady_koolz: These day south remakes are lapped well that the Mughal-e-Azam classic types .. That’s the problem with the audience and also a film to be a blockbuster it needs to impress the mass belt most importantly .. Gone are the days were classic movies are welcomed .. Now its the time of Action & Comedy flicks at BW. Though few non-conventional films succeed .. But the percentage ratio is less incomparison .. Hope by this weekend we will get a clear picture.

8. srk lover
    srk lover
    November 15, 2012 at 2:48 AM

why is it that we srk fans think all romantic movies are classic and all masala movies are crap? Is it because we are rich and well educated?

9. srk lover
    srk lover
    November 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM

For the first time I feel like bashing srk’s movie rather than srk himself…Srk did the best he could in JTHJ but what can the poor lad do? He picked the wrong/ poor script.

10. RedDevil
    RedDevil
    November 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM

lol Srk lover .. That isn’t true :-) Even Srk has acted in bad films .. But here we are talking about classics .. Not about the star .. A classic film will win hearts irrespective of the Star and his stardom.. So that doesn’t mean Srk films are always classic .. Good films needs to be appreciated irrespective of the Star.