(As may be recalled, I have been saying this for months that both SOS and JTHJ will embark on a good start. I had even put up a survey regarding which film will do better in which circuit. The only point I disagreed with was Bihar leading or SOS in Bihar. The same has now been confirmed.The opening is more or less on expected lines).
Jab Tak Hai Jaan has blockbuster written all over it!
I checked out the film with a bunch of my students. And here are my views.
( I kind of agree with what Gorilla says)
The first half is stupendous. Highlight sequences :-
1) Katrina smoking sequence
2) The Challa Song
3) The dance sequence and the song Ishq Shava
4) Saans song
4) The SRK accident sequence and Kat’s acting
5) The Rishi-Neetu cameo
1) SRK-Anushka bomb sequence
2) Jiya Jiya song (especially where SRK joins in)
4) Anushka-SRK under the bridge talks
3) SRK second time Challa sequence
4) Kat-SRK London scenes (in the house)
5)Anushka-Kat parting shot
6) Off course the super ending.
Where I found problems
1) The sluggish first part of the second half.
2) Anushka’s screen presence (not acting) fading in comparison to Kat, though GenX loved her tomboyish act (unlike me).
3) The climax can be shortened by about 5-10 mins.
4) More light moments in IInd half
Having said that, the above are not impediments in JTHJ becoming a blockbuster. And whenever I go to see a YC film, I am prepared for a slowish second half (though it tests my patience). Here the second half was not as slow as a DTPH & VZ, thankfully.
As a parting shot, all makers should see a tutorial on what cameo should be like. Seen it with Akki in DTPH & now with Neetu-Rishi. It should be impactful, like in YC films.
My rating : 8.5/10