SKYFALL’s Most liked review on IMDB.IW | November 4, 2012, 4:02 PM | 8 comments | 0 views
So so so bad. Critics need replacing,
Author: Vijay Dinanath from United Kingdom
*** This review may contain spoilers ***
My 1st review! I am so disgusted with this film&annoyed critics praised it I cracked and had to review(rant).
1. stolen agent list? Sound familiar? Mission impossible,Charlie’s angels2 etc. overused &too easy. This isn’t a sinister shot at Julian A.. it’s just plain unimaginative
2. What happened to the list; halfway through the film they just forgot about it
3. How everything is explained by hacking magic/viruses. Hacking can be done well; golden eye,swordfish,matrix, diehard4…Not just a contrived cheap plot device out of nowhere. Adding hacking does not suddenly make a film ‘modern’. Are natural resources or funding civil wars from the previous 2 films outdated?
4.OK,It was actually part of a theme that was slightly touched on ‘Bond in the internet world-is he still necessary’. But they went about it by one remark by Q, & an enquiry. But the last 2 movies show why we still need Bond from 2005 onwards already! No need for this theme- just Mendes trying to have a number of themes like The Dark Knight.
5.The enquiry.They have a meeting to discuss MI6? This is what TV shows like spooks &stargate do when they run out of ideas or need a recap in a penultimate episode. It again looks like Sam Mendes was recreating the Harvey Dent conference from the Dark Knight but again v.bad(he said dark knight inspired him)
6. Silva’s planned capture. Now this is done a lot in films but the bad guy benefits from it. Silva achieved a conversation with M…she ignored him… What was the point.
Could he not capture her with his earlier hacking magic considering hacking can do everything now. He somehow knows he will be in that room, with those guards and knows where M will be even though he planned it for ‘years’. Another bad version of the Joker’s escape.
7. Super calculating (hack crazy)Silva’s plan at the end was a firefight? With a backup plan of another firefight. It makes me sick to keep bringing up dark knight considering I love Bond more…but at least the joker had a sadistic plan at the end which was consistent with what he done earlier.
8. Could Bond not take a Sim free phone and call backup when Silva arrived at the end scene/ ‘trap’. It ended like home-alone.. Bond setting up traps in a house.
9. Silva is supposed to mirror Bond. Yet Bonds ‘betrayal’ was nowhere near as bad a Silva being handed over for torture(by about 100x). Some forced connection is made considering they never met before. 006 in Goldeneye is done so much better. Instead Silva has to tell a story of 2 rats so we know what we are supposed to think.
10. Bond’s betrayal is M ordering Naomi to take a risky shot. Bond later tell’s M he heard the order… why didn’t he get out the way then? he just kept fighting like an idiot. &did Naomi only have 1 bullet?
11. Naomi is a forced character..appearing randomly to remind us she still exists so we can think it’s ‘clever’ when she becomes Moneypenny.
12. Bond’s character; Bond follows an assassin&lets him kill innocent security guards! +lets him snipe someone who could be innocent. How is this in his character?! I can imagine a ‘professional critic’ shouting at me telling me how Bond is current and re-invented now. The previous 2 films already rebooted Bond to show WHY he doesn’t let innocents die (camille in QofS) and every other Bond made, this completely ruins him.
13. He doesn’t even blink when the girl he just bedded a few hours ago gets shot in cold blood. This woman he identifies as being sex trafficked and abused and is now suffering at the hands of Silva- He then just jumps in her shower. I had little problem with Bond tricking a woman into bed in live and let die- but the sky-fall scene should land him in the S-offenders list. Bond is not that heartless- watch any other movie or read the books. This is a disgusting betrayal.
14. Some critics are saying this film is a reboot &some critics are saying all 3 together are a reboot. Both are wrong. In CR M tells Bond about his ‘ego’& ‘half monk-half hit-man’, blunt instrument. In QoS after Vesper’s ‘betrayal’ – he is accused of being ‘blinded by inconsolable rage’ but Bond says he does care about ‘field’s death’ and M finally decided to trust him.
At the end she says she wants him back- Bond says ‘i never left’. Que gun barrel scene to finish the journey of Bond to the classic Bond we know. Perfect. You need to watch QoS and CR back-to-back to appreciate this 2 story character arc. Then this movie comes along and destroys everything for the sake of multiple themes no one cares about.
15. A random side theme is if Bond is up to it after being shot? why do we need this too. How many broken half themes in one film that never fully materialise.
16. Quite a few instances of Bond just standing in front of a landscape shot with his legs apart ‘being deep’. I thought he was urinating at first.
17. Approximate dialogue;
Q ‘Only 6 people in the world can write this code’ Bond ‘can you break it’ Q ‘I invented it’ Enough said
18. M becomes his mum. Bond crying
19. Die another Day was bad, but Bond’s character didn’t change for silly reasons, he didn’t ignore collateral damage, it didn’t forever alter the perception of his relationship with M and Moneypenny
Shame on critics too impatient to appreciate QoS for not spoon feeding them everything & praising sky-fall because of poorly scattered symbolism&metaphors to make them feel clever.