Actor Sadashiv Amrapurkar, who was being treated for lung infection at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital (KDAH), passed away Monday morning. READ ALSO: Lesser known facts about Sadashiv Amrapurkar He was hospitalised about twoRead more...
It’s a new film altogether-Rohit Shettyfenil_seta | March 5, 2012, 5:30 PM | one comment | 0 views
Rohit Shetty fields questions on Bol Bachchan, comparisons with its inspiration and the cast
Upala KBR (BOMBAY TIMES; March 5, 2012)
Rohit Shetty doesn’t believe in wasting time. The director began work on his next action comedy Bol Bachchan shortly after his last hit Singham. With BB almost 95 per cent complete and due for release on July 6, Shetty takes a breather to give us a sneak peek at his film, even as he shoots in Wai in Maharashtra. The Shree Ashtavinayak Cinevision Ltd and Ajay Devgn Ffilms production, presented by Fox Star Studios, stars Ajay Devgn, Abhishek Bachchan, Asin Thottumkal and Prachi Desai.
What made you choose Bol Bachchan as your next film after Singham?
• Singham was a hardcore action film, so I wanted my next to be a light-hearted comedy and the BB script suited my requirements. The film has a lot of characters. Apart from being a comedy, it’s a family entertainer that offers drama, action and emotions, among other things. We’ve taken the basic concept from Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s Gol Maal, but the rest is completely different.
How different is it?
• The entire screenplay is new. You could call it a new film altogether. Archana Puran Singh, Paresh Ganatra, Krushna Abhishek and VIP from the TV show Comedy Circus will play some of the new characters. Even Asin and Prachi’s characters don’t feature in the original. Abhishek and his character Abbas Ali’s mannerisms will be one of the film’s highlights. The plot is interesting and the narrative is simple. We also have a few high-octane action sequences that weren’t there in Gol Maal.
So Ajay Devgn’s character is quite unlike Utpal Dutt’s?
• Yes. Though his introduction is deadly and he plays a pehelwan, Ajay’s character (called Prithviraj Raghuvanshi) is the simplest, most innocent character in the film. Almost everyone, including Abhishek, lies to him and keeps taking him for a ride and he believes them right till the end. When Ajay finally discovers the truth, his reaction is something else!
You’ve cast Abhishek after a long time…
• When we started writing the script, we decided to cast him as he suited the character best. Also, the film is called Bol Bachchan, and he plays a character called Abhishek Bachchan, but he doesn’t play himself.
Who is the bigger prankster on the sets — Abhishek or Ajay?
• Both Ajay and Abhishek are equally fun-loving, so everyday kuch na kuch masti hoti rehti hai! It’s great fun shooting with both of them.
What’s special about Bol Bachchan?
• We shot in Jaipur earlier, and currently are in Wai. There are hand-to-hand combat scenes, with buses and cars being blown up too! Kids won’t come out of the film disappointed. This is an entertaining family film by Rohit Shetty.