Lyon (France): Internationally-renowned Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has been roped in as an ambassador for Interpol’s “Turn Back Crime” campaign to promote awareness on how everyone can play a role in preventing crime.Read more...
So Amitabh Bachchan After All Was Just ‘The Biggest Recovery Star’ Of Bollywooddanish | March 4, 2012, 2:11 PM | 32 comments | 1,385 views
That too in an era of reruns where even unheard of movies like ‘ek naari ek brahamchaari’ were recovering money to be labelled below average.
in an era where not only sholay ran for 5 years in a single theater (unlike ddlj whose print is just ‘lying’ at maratha mandir for record’s sake) but even films like ‘samrat’ celeberated silver jubilee (ever heard of it????) maang bharo sajna by jeetndra celeberated 100 days, hum kisi se kam nahin by rishi kapoor ran for 52 weeks plus at golcha cinema in delhi and all films generally recovered money as a limited number of prints (thus reducing prints cost and helping roi) did the rounds of the interiors at a leisurly pace without any fear of piracy eating into the revenues. if in such an era amitabh bachchan has 28 films that recovered money at a tortoise pace, what is the big deal. for all you knwo, jeetendra cud have an equal number and dharmendra even more.
but on every other scale amitabh bachchan’s career looks ‘overhyped’. to begin with it was just a 10 years long career (1973-1983) after that bachchan has never been able to come up with an exceptional hit, even by filminformation data. secondly he has been able to give the biggest hit of the year only 5 times (roti kapda aur makaan, sholay, amar akbar anthony, muqaddar ka suandar and coolie with one spl apprnce (roti…..) and not a single solo hero one like dabangg, mpk, hahk, boduguard etc. after 1983 amitabh bachchan has just been basking the the reflected glory of the past and manipulating media (en entire issue of the movie magazine dedicated to him in 1986 with ‘god friend’ vir sanghvi writing the editorial) all those fake polls at the fag end of te last millenium where he was voted world’s greatest star over even marlon brando and harrison ford (one the greatest hollywood star perception wise, other giving maximum number of record breaking successes) getting his statue installed in madame tousadds, getting padma shree etc. but on the box office he has nothing much to show for post 1983.
so it seems amitabh bachchan after all was just the biggest recovery star of the industry with competition in the form of akshay kumar, ajay devgan and mithun chakravarti. (with all due respects to mithun and ajays’ talent they were not able to get that public endorsment year fatre year that is a reflection of true popularity and talent in a democracy, as for akshay well less said the better but what to do. yakuza has put amitabh in akshay caregory with a list of 28 ‘recovery’ films out of 50 odd total hits.
1. bachchan lags behind in biggest hits of the year. dilip kumar and and salman have double (8 each), dharmendra has 5 (phool aur paththar, aankhein, seeta geeta, sholay, hukumat) mostly solo hero, srk has one less at 4 (ddlj, kkhh, vera zara, oso) with bachchan’s 5th being a special appearence in roti kapda aur makaan.
2. bachchan lacks solo hero atbbs. he has zero. salman has 2, dilip kumar 1.
3. bachchan lacks even solo hero clean hits. i can only think of zanjeer, don, aaj ka arjun, laaawris, sharaabi, mard, shahensha and may be a couple more. less than 10 solo hero hits is a very poor record i must say.
4. only one film of bachchan has been able to dominate the minds of an entire generation (by numbers not perception ) and that film, sholay, was a multistarrer with dharmendra in equal, may be bigger role, top herine of not that era but biggets ever of bollywood hema malini and topmost character artistes. compare that to salman’s biggest hit hahk (with just madhuri dixit, much smaller than hema malini) and character artistes from tv and still some insist bachchan gets more credit for sholay than salman does for hahk. by what logic? then again salman’s second biggest hit ‘mpk’ was the biggest hit of the 80s but bachchan has no such second film.
5. though bachchan has many film in the 80s that revolved entirely around him in the 80s (coolie, mard, shahensha, aaj ka arjun etc) the sucess was not at the level of dabangg, ready and bodyguard. except coolie none of these films were the biggets hit of the year.
so with such doubtfull credentials, merely on the basis of number of ‘recovery’ hits (as for clean hits he has 25 till 1992 age 50, salman has 19 till bodyguard at age 46) can amitabh bachchan be called the biggets star of bollywopd or just the biggest ‘recovery’ star, that too in an era of reruns?