In Defense Of Shah Rukh Khan by KoiMoi.com

The last paragraph is aimed at Salman Khan fans who’ve been jumping like _______ after their favorite been giving HITS after continuous FLOPS.

In Defense Of Shah Rukh Khan
December 16, 2011

Over the past year, I have noticed that the negativity towards Shah Rukh Khan has increased exponentially. From the way he promotes films to the way he conducts his personal matters have all come under intense scrutiny. I do not know the reason behind this but I have some opinions of my own to share with you all.

I recently read a blog post on Koimoi.com titled From Loving Shah Rukh Khan To Liking Salman Khan which I found to be rather shocking as it was supposedly written by a “self-confessed die-hard Shah Rukh Khan fan.” The post claimed that a normal bike ride with Suhana, Shah Rukh Khan’s daughter, was an orchestrated publicity stunt. This was also exaggerated by the media but I believe that this claim is baseless and completely ludicrous. It was just a bike ride with his daughter. Even a ‘brand’ like Shah Rukh Khan has the right to have a fun moment with his family. Riding a bike in Mannat’s parking area probably is not all that exhilarating as roaming the streets of Mumbai. People jump to conclusions too early without analysing something and tend to look into everything more than they should. At the end of the day, Shah Rukh Khan is just a human being like all of us and is entitled to the same activities we derive pleasure out of. Being accompanied by bodyguards is necessary for his and Suhana’s protection. The media always follows stars so it’s nothing new that photos of the bike ride were taken.

Moving onto the promotion of Shah Rukh’s films, the only thing I have to say it that the way he promoted Ra.One and Don 2 is completely justified. Ra.One was a new concept that needed to be introduced to the public and that is exactly what Shah Rukh did. Whatever people might think, Ra.One was India’s first true superhero film. Drona and Krrish, the two previous attempts, lacked world-class special effects and in my opinion had worse plots. Robot is mistakenly categorised as a superhero film by much of the public when it was basically an adaptation of EPICAC, a short story by Kurt Vonnegut from Welcome to the Monkey House, in which a robot falls in love with a human.

Moving to Don 2, people are saying that the promotions are not at the level of Ra.One and that Shah Rukh Khan has “learned his lesson”. Don is already an established franchise that was started off by Amitabh Bachchan and continued by Farhan Akthar and Shah Rukh Khan. It is not a new concept and people are already aware who Don is, what happened at the end of the 2006 remake, and probably what to expect from Don 2. All-out promotions are not needed for this type of a film as it already is present in the collective memory of the populace.

Promotions are important and the fact that you stay in the public eye when doing something new is vital. All of this has been done in Hollywood for ages. Why do we have a problem with it? The author of ‘From Loving Shah Rukh Khan To Liking Salman Khan’ also stated that the mantra for promotion these days seems to be “cheap controversies” leading to “great TRPs.” Firstly, I do not know if that was only meant for Veena Malik’s recent FHM debacle or Shah Rukh’s bike ride, or both, but the fact is that being in the media eye does lead to more people watching your show. Mark my word, Veena Ka Vivah, the new show where she tries to find a husband, will benefit from all this controversy.

Lastly, everything cannot be a rage like Kolaveri Di. Promotions are essential to a film and comparing Kolaveri Di to the promotion techniques of others is wrong and does not take into account the countless factors that lead to success for different types of films, genres, and types of products.

Also, Shah Rukh Khan and his team have the right to promote films the way they deem fit. I am sure various promotional strategies were discussed for both, Ra.One and Don 2. In my opinion, they were right in the way they carried it out. The fact that the buzz levels for Don 2 and Ra.One are similar when one week before their release is a testament to that.

Coming back to Shah Rukh Khan and the Salman Khan clash, I would like to add that Shah Rukh Khan is himself, and he always has been so. Being talked about in the media, giving interviews, having photos taken, brings him closer to his fans and I consider it a blessing. I feel that his humanity, his intellect, his wit, his being, shines through because of this. Shah Rukh is a person who has been in the spotlight for many years now and his personality is exactly the same when I look at his videos from ten years ago. The only difference is that he has grown over the years as an actor, businessman and human, and sure knows what he’s doing more than what a blogger or two might say. Sure, he has made mistakes many times, but I do not think that this controversy over promoting films is one of them.

I do not believe that he is manipulating people as the author of the other blog suggests. He is just showing us who he is. If we like it, then great, if we don’t, then it’s shouldn’t be a problem. He says what he wants to say and does what he wants to do. If that’s not being true to himself, then I do not know what is.

It would be sacrilegious of me to end this post without speaking about Salman Khan, Shah Rukh’s friend-turned-foe and apparent arch rival. I live in the Washington DC and I promise you people, I did not even know who Salman Khan was before Ra.One came out and the comparisons between Ra.One and Bodyguard started. The only other things I’ve heard about Salman are that he is the “bad boy” of Bollywood and is involved in a considerable amount of legal problems. I do not feel comfortable commenting on Salman as I do not know as much about him nor have I seen many of his films. He might be a favorite in India but he certainly isn’t mine. I have seen Bodyguard and thought it was not a great piece of work. That is my opinion but people in India apparently loved the movie.

This period of intense hatred (I don’t know what else to call it) will pass and Shah Rukh Khan will emerge victorious in the end. This will happen because Shah Rukh Khan has a great personality, is true to himself, and has great on-screen presence. Don 2 will be the start of that followed by his next venture with Yash Chopra.

I would also like to warn all fans of other actors who bash people who like Shah Rukh Khan on Twitter, Facebook and other forms of social media. The fact that you go all out to insult an individual you have never met and claim to know rather well will only result in a backlash towards your favorite actor. I have gotten such messages on Twitter and it only makes me hate the star you worship more than the person sending the messages. I am correct in saying this because recently the number of groups making fun of Salman Khan’s upcoming project have increased ten-fold on Facebook. As the saying goes, what goes around comes around, so you better be prepared for what’s coming your way. I would advise everyone to debate the actor’s body of work than their personal lives and stop making homophobic and racist comments against these individuals as seems to be the norm these days on social networks.

1. Fasel said:

Komal is correct by saying:

“As the saying goes, what goes around comes around, so you better be prepared for what’s coming your way. I would advise everyone to debate the actor’s body of work than their personal lives and stop making homophobic and racist comments against these individuals as seems to be the norm these days on social networks”

2. Delight44 said:

Koimoi aur komal ko aur badnaam mat karo srk fans.

vaise bhi srk ko support karne ke chakkar me mooh dikhane laayak nahi bacha.
    khud article likhke komal ko badnaam karte ho :D

3. Roy said:

and fasel tries once more to pass off an article without reading it

hahaha … this is not komal, but a srk fan crying on koimoi

fasel, please read articles before posting them .. haha

4. fearlesssoul said:

One PR of SRK writes an Article few days back and then another PR of SRK writes an Article in Defense of First one – I want to say Who you guys are fooling?

First Article writer critcize Salman (By praising SRK indirectly what was salman is today – Being Himself, SRK was yesterday) – It clearly states in favor of SRK

Second Article writer contradicts himself by saying he has not even heard of Salman before Ra One and claims to hav seen bodyguard (which released earlier). Even if he has seen it after Ra One How come he knows Salman. In 20-23 years of their career the author of article says he doesn’t know salman before Ra One. How true it is. If he didn’t know he shouldn’t have known him by now also as he might be staying in LaLa Land or Was ;)

In Both there is nothing against SRK so where is the debate.

Komal is clearly showing his true colors and i believe he will not give any postive verdicts on either ETT/Talash :P (Be Prepared Guys).

Also for me the author sounds somewhat familiar from NG threatening to other star fans ;) It shows how much heartbroken and helpless he is. Hatred for Shahrukh has increased 100th fold ;) and this article will increase it by 101th fold ;)

5. Dan said:

Ludicrous Article. Doesn’t know Salman??Salmaaan Khan??WTF…What hes smoking from childhood…lolzzz . Must be generated soul of Video game from Ra.one. When Bodyguard broke the Game , from then he Got to know the name Salman khan. he he he.
    And no need to promote DON2..!! Since everyone knows the concept….lolzz dont worry , so people will bother to watch it , because everyone knows the concept. ;)
    God save SRK and his poor fans. These kind of Jokers are defending him.

6. Bhaiyyaji Sssmile... Dabangg 2 said:

@Fasel miyaaaa.. ama kabhi to article padha karo… :D

kyu logo ko aise mauke baar baar dete ho … ke wo tumhara mazaak udaye??

7. right said:

Roy!

I think you didn’t checked the headline properly “In Defense Of Shah Rukh Khan by KoiMoi.com” nowhere faisal said by Komal Nahta. I know you are blind SRK hater and Joker of NG, but at least read properly what is posted before passing on comment.

The day is not far when Delight44 and Roy will post article SRK Sneezed. While Roy will comment it is publicity gimmick of SRK that he sneezed and Delight44 will say their was to much overacting in SRK sneeze. While fearlesssoul will say why SRK sneezed he shouldn’t have sneezed because Aamir and Salman didn’t sneezed or he might say okay SRK sneezed but it shouldn’t be out in public.

8. right said:

Good Aryan! You caught me, but I read this article in morning itself. So didn’t checked what comments were going on. So I take my words back.

But this is fact:-

9. Suraj said:

I don’t understand what are the Koimoi.com guys upto! What is the point of putting up articles written by fans?

Wonder if Koimoi.com or other sites wish to lose their credibility by publishing articles written by fans! Fans say extreme stuff (like this guy who claimed he didn’t know Salman Khan till BG!), are over-devoted to their favorites and their articles are rarely objective!

I don’t understand what came in their mind to put up articles on Ra One or SRK at this point of time!

10. fearlesssoul said:

When Srk Sneezes Right will say – ” you haters (Roy, delight and fearlesssoul), dont you see the hairs and Mucous popping out of Srk nose had 1001 VFX effects and it was scripted by an International Journalist, His sneezing Sound effects were at par with International standard and the Collection of those hairy mucous was more than 10 times of what salman or aamir sneezed in kyunki and dhobi Ghat.

11. fearlesssoul said:

@Mods- I request you NG’s Gods, please give posting rights to Suraj. he writes very good but his comments are not less than a post ;)

I am serious about his posting rights though!

12. Tippu Sultan said:

Sometimes it is nice to put people in their right places and this article is definitely instrumental to achieve that. The writer has stated his points articulately and has sunken into most detractors’ porous brains. It cannot be put better than that. The moral behind the article is YOU CAN HATE SRK AS MUCH AS YOU WANT BUT YOU CAN’T BASH HIM AND GET AWAY WITH IT.

13. pitambar said:

traffic to koimoi must have substantially increased since ra.one…komal’s doing a good job and various star fans on ng are just getting fooled.bollywood is also turning into south indian film industry driven by stupid fans.

14. fearlesssoul said:

film_maker – FS –>

@right – Won’t you say i am proud to be SRK fan coz his sneeze is also such a versatile like his acting ;)

15. NyKavi said:

Komal has gone nuts in his blind defense of Ra.1. How can he claim objectivity/nuetrality if he starts posting fan rants in favor of only 1 actor on his website?
    Most of these ‘doyens of media’ clearly do not know how to deal with social media and the streams of unvarnished/unpaid opinion created by individuals. When the opinion turns negative against their own views, they get caught flat-footed with the onslaught. They need to grow up and learn to deal with it. Otherwise they will get totally devoured by the social media monster.
    When a learned guy like Kapil Sibal can become a subject of online ridicule in a matter of minutes, how can an SRK or Komal Nahta hope to survive?

16. TERA BAAP said:

Re:The guy who wrote this article is a crazy SRK fan and everyone knows what he’s doing all day on Twitter and some FB pages! He complains of so-called ”negativity” against SRK, but the hypocrite is himself involved with handles like ”ekthabandar”, ”gaymir”, ”beinglallu”,”boycottafilm” etc. on Twitter where he keeps writing filthiest of stuff against Aamir, Salman, their films and EVEN their families and keeps urging everyone to not to watch their films.

LOL! Thats your typical SRK fan!

17. FIRANGI said:

Everyone on NG is doing exactly what this article suggests….BASHING Shahrukh. Get a life people!!!! Enjoy cinema for what it is…appreciate performances and stop wasting your time coming up with negative taglines aginst your rival superstars just to act cool in a forum. I enjoy Shahrukh, Aamir, and Salman movies equally and dissect them negatively if I feel that movies were not what the package promised. I have to say that I did not enjoy any Shahrukh or Salman movies this year….highly overrated from Ready to Bodyguard to RA1 (Indian viewer must feel otherwise judging from the BO numbers). Salman movies have become boaring and all seem to be the same as he sleepwalks through the movies these days. Sharukh has lost his charm since he stopped doing Romantic Family Dramas (you may hate him for not experimenting but why change something that works and keeps the audience coming back). The only performances and movie I truly enjoyed and was entertained with without critisizing every aspect of it this year was ZNMD. All three of the leads performed really well and the movie was well directed IMO – provided entertainment which I seek in every movie. People here have even bashed ZNMD for being unrealistic and not relating to indian crowd. The point again is to be entertained and I was entertained to the max. I commend all the actors coming together leaving their egos behind. Each one of them seemed to have really enjoyed making the movie. Point is – enjoy the movies for what they are – entertaiment. Why bother with their personal lives and what they are saying and doing.

18. joey222 said:

so we all know wat fasel will be doing during release of ek tha tiger…working overtime to spread negative rumours…right..fasel?

19. Naveed_EkThaTiger said:

Hahaha Fasel :P

The joke is on you..!!!!

Komal proved his worth during ra1 now he’s just embarassing himself.

And let SRK fans attack ETT or any other film a) they do this anyway b) we Salman fans won’t cry about it the way srk fans have :P

P. S as I have repeated many times fans of all actors bashed ra1 coz it was crap and deserved it. MOVE ON.

20. Fasel said:

No Joey I will be rooting for ETT like I did for BG. Go check my previous posts, I was one of the few who supported BG, if you dont believe me go ask IHAB. I dont have a problem with Salman, its his fans who get me irritated.

21. Tango said:

“Asher Madan is a medical student in Washington DC. He is also a fan of Shah Rukh Khan and blogs about Bollywood and the latest films often on his Google Blog.”

22. danish said:

just two questions

1. 19 saal se mumbai mein rehta hai, living in mannat at bandra for 10 years, itne saalon mein cycling ka shauq nahi hua. ab jabki boodho haddiyon aur tooti peeth mein jaan nahin bachi to cycling karne nikla hai. biwi ko ramp pe chadha deta hai (salman family members who come on ramp are actors, designers etc. have you ever seen alvira, saleem, arpita salma on ramp? srk’s wife is not a bollywood person or actor) beti ko cycle par chadha deta hai pata nahin aage jaa ke kya akrega publicity ke liye.

2. if srk is not changing, if this is who he is then he is really DISGUSTING.

23. danish said:

and i dont understand the whole business of srk fans saying they dont ahte salman but salman fans hate srk

salman hate karne laayak banda hi nahin hai.

srk is a disgusting, manipulative, insecure guy. so obviously ppl will hate him, not salman who is a simple, large hearted, slighly brash guy.

24. fearlesssoul said:

@antares – Ra One trailer screened with Ready and Bodyguard and Ra One and Don2 trailers were screened during Bodyguard in UAE :P

25. aryan29 said:

@Antares Everyone Knows???? by everyone you mean some of the SRK fans like you :D

And Don2 and Ra-one trailors were attached with Ready and Bodyguard at many places in India..and WTH claim is that why would Salman not allow at only some places…Fact was that the prints of trailors of Ra-one and Don2 were provided LESS by their respective production houses which had nothing to do with Salman or those rumours about him before the release.so get your facts right.

26. Naveed_EkThaTiger said:

Haha Antares – in England the trailers of ra1 were attached to both Ready and Bodyguard and Don 2 to Bodyguard.