Success of ‘Rockstar’ helps Ranbir Kapoor establish as Bollywood’s blockbuster kid

Ranbir Kapoor
MUMBAI: On Friday evening, traffic outside Krishna Raj Bunglow, Pali Hill, at Mumbai’s Bandra suburb was impossible to manage. Every TV channel was in line for a quick bite from the Rockstar-Ranbir Kapoor.

His latest film Rockstar is estimated to have collected Rs 36-40 crore from theatres in the fist weekend of its release, confirming the young scion of the Kapoor family as the blockbuster kid in Bollywood less than five years after his debut.

The 28-year-old grandson of Raj Kapoor refuses to get overwhelmed by an avalanche of congratulatory messages for his standout performance in the movie that portrays the transformation of Delhi youth Janardan Jhakar, or JJ, into world famous rock star Jordan.

“I have faith in myself and I work very hard, but let’s wait and see whether the film holds audience interest beyond the weekend or falls on Monday,” says Ranbir Kapoor. “It is the curiosity that brings people into a film initially, (but) it is the longevity of a film that matters eventually.”

With less than 10 films as lead actor under his belt since his debut in 2007 with Saawariya, Kapoor has reached where few stars had at his age.

Read More HERE

1. Shalu
    Shalu
    November 14, 2011 at 12:37 PM

What success? Judging by the audience response in the theatre, I foresee a crash on Monday.

And what’s with proclaiming a movie a ‘success’ even before the opening weekend ends? It is just a ploy by the film-makers to fool the audience into thinking that the movie is a success when it is the opposite.

This article is so obviously written by Ranbir’s PR. I have heard that they pay TOI group a big amount every year to publish positive PR articles about him and to praise him in every publication of theirs.

2. Yakuza
    Yakuza
    November 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

That’s wonderful, Reports are mixed but more on positive side, movie will not crash on Monday @Shaalu.

Yes @Doga, that’s the very genius of Ranbir .. in times when everyone wants to cash weekend and in hurry to declare their movie blockbuster even before weekend finish, Talking about longevity of movie by a star whose movie just released and doing good at box-office till date, is incredible.

3. Shalu
    Shalu
    November 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Yakuza, Wanaa bet? :)

4. Dino
    Dino
    November 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Brilliantlly said and excellent to see such maturity on part of this young actor when most big stars are just focussing on weekeend business to maximise revenue. Ranbir seems to be a Lambi race ka Ghoda focussed on audience acceptance.

5. Yakuza
    Yakuza
    November 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM

@shaalu .. sure .. If u won then DON-2 ticket will be sponsored by me … and if i lose then it will be sponsored by you .. :)

6. Shalu
    Shalu
    November 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yakuza, Done :)

7. rks
    rks
    November 14, 2011 at 1:40 PM

You guys should decide about cinema hall and other variables. Now don’t give tickets to see the movie in some remote place :)

ps – I think a better bet would be, losing party would donate Rs 1000 in NG Donation box in others name ;)

8. dwnpiyush
    dwnpiyush
    November 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Well deserved- The guy is the brightest thing about the Industry right now…

9. Shalu
    Shalu
    November 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM

rks, haha! Thats true! But I would prefer the free ticket ;)

So Yakuza, I will get a ticket in Noida if I win and if you win you get a ticket in Mumbai (right?).

10. rks
    rks
    November 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Winning this bet is like punishment. No one goes to movies alone. So you end up spending (for spouse, kids, popcorns and petrol) multiples of a movie tickets IMO.

11. Yakuza
    Yakuza
    November 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Ha Ha . . @RKS @Shaalu … Can u read my bet carefully .. its win win for me .. :D

12. MKS
    MKS
    November 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM

i think imtiaz ali messed up this time……

I hated the direction and screenplay of rockstar
    …..
    They destroyed the intensity of song “Jo bhi mein kehna chahu”…..
    Overall, for me this film could be the cult but after seeing this i must say i want my 250rs back….
    Its like Mausam…..

i will rate London Dreams More then this….

A good story has been destroyed by bad direction……
    After wathing first half i thought imtiaz will back in second bcoz in first half i found loo low screenplay and lots of editing….so i was thinking Imtiaz will recollect all in second half….But after watching second half i hated this film so much….
    I think this is the First film of Ranbir kapoor i hated so much…
    “I can watch saawariya one more time”…but Rockstar “Noway”…

On the BO status, i dnt believe in tht the film got hit or flop status….:)
    For me Rockstar is flop…..2/10….
    Even if i hated sadda haq…..promo version was much better then the Full version….

And for “Jo bhi mein kahun”…….what can i say…..”Jo bhi mein kehna chahu barbad kare alfaz mere”………………….. ;)

For me Rockstar is biggest dissapointment of this year, bcoz it was mon my top list……. anyway …..
    This is my view,,,,,,,,,,

13. Shalu
    Shalu
    November 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Grrrrr……….

14. danish
    danish
    November 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM

@shalu didi – great comment!

15. danish
    danish
    November 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM

@doga420 – kitne paise mile?

16. wall-D
    wall-D
    November 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM

@Doga @Shalu
    first decide, what is the definition of crash for you. For some movies, it goes as low as 60% fall. For others, even 85% is quite stable. Recent exmaples may serve as evidence.

17. wall-D
    wall-D
    November 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Above comment for yakuza and shalu. Doga not involved :)

18. aryan29
    aryan29
    November 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

One word Nautanki
    specially after such interviews

19. deadmanwalking
    deadmanwalking
    November 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM

i want to ask something how the film can be ahit and their is aplaces will suffer alose from the film performance at the BO ?