Richard Attenborough, Actor, Director and Giant of British Cinema, Dies at 90 Richard Attenborough, who after a distinguished stage and film acting career in Britain reinvented himself to become the internationally admired directorRead more...
10 Most Beautiful Heroines – On Tsahan’s Demanddanish | August 23, 2011, 10:21 PM | 47 comments | 2,133 views
When I had put up a list of ten handsomest/ugliest heroes (with salman on top in handsome, srk in ugliest) tashan wanted a most beautiful heroines list. So here I present my 10 fave bollywood beauties. This is a subjective list and not a scientific one. Every one else can put up their list if they differ instead of demanding a ban on me. Also I have not included screen beauties/cosmetic wonders like rekha, madhuri etc (even aishwarya looks much less beautiful without make up than with, though she is one of the most beautiful heroines ever. The only reason she is not in the list is that she is just not my type. Irritating, cold, fake, kamini, khurraat (and to think she didn’t marry salman still) but I have only included the real “maal” (and I don’t mean maaldaar) the rasbhari, hari bhari, anaarkali types jo saamne se dekhne mein bhi beautiful lagein not with make up, styling and lighting. (off course I m taking a guess as there is no way I could have seen sulochana/ruby mayers). Also since this list is not about talent and box office success, don’t even scream kajol/vyjyantimala are not there.
10 – Ruby Mayers/Sulochana- she was the 1st female star of bollywood. An anglo Indian telephone operator turned actor who was the highest paid star at that time. (before that men played female parts) I have not seen any movies of hers, just a couple of still pictures but she looks smashing despite the make up, lighting etc being very basic in the infancy period of bollywood.
9 – Farah Naaz – most ppl would not have heard of her. She starred in some movies in the 80s and was tabu’s elder sister. Her career never picked up (except ‘love 86’ and ‘marte dum tak’ almost all her films flopped) but was she a beauty! Fair, porcelain, classic aquiline features, slim tall frame. She wasn’t well rounded in the Indian sense of the word but then when you watch ‘faasle’ you don’t bother looking below the neck.
8 – Poonam Dhillon- yes she was an amazingly beautiful girl. Don’t go by bigg boss’, watch ‘noorie’. Or ‘trishul’. Or ‘karma’. The typical chandigarrh beauty, again fair and fresh like a daisy, huge eyes, beautifully shaped lips and she had a nice figure also. Many called her ‘thandi’ or cold but that’s again subjective. If you think poonam dhillon is cold and bipasha basu is hot, I would rather live in Siberia than Nigeria.
7. Jaya Prada- again ppl mostly remember her as the matronly bhabhi in jeetendra/mithun movies of the 80s as she came to hindi movies rather late but watch her in some south movies and ‘sargam’. her first hindi outing and you realize what a classic, khajuraho beauty she was. I read in a recent nostalgia column of filmfare that none less than the great satyajit ray once declared her the most beautiful bollywood heroine ever. Now that’s a compliment if ever there was one!
6- Dimple Kapadia- she can explain metaphors. Wanna know the meaning of ‘almond eyes’? just pick up an almond and put it on life size picture of Dimple Kapadia and it fits perfectly. Wanna know the meaning of auburn hair? Watch ‘Jaanbaaz’. Wanna understand what men mean when the use words like ‘makkhan malaai’ for women (sorry for being politically incorrect) watch ‘Bobby’. What translucent skin. Nobody in the history of bollywood has had better hair and skin than dimple Kapadia. Her shortcoming was the oversize (in the wrong dimension) butts but what the hell! She sent a nation in tizzy in 1973 when bobby released. It remains the most common name for both guys and girls in the north.
5 – Sonali Bender – ‘Maharashtrian Mulgi’ for most ppl means madhuri dixit, for me its sonali bender all the way. (I m sorry but madhuri with pimples, ear to ear grin, bad dress sense and worse make up sense and tacky branding never appealed to me) sonali had a flawless skin, beautiful eyes, perfectly shaped lips and though it was clear she wasn’t very fair, it didn’t matter. And what a congenial expression on her face. Watch her in naaraaz (sambhaala hai maine – amazing song) diljale, major saab’ or her best ‘hum saath saath hain’ and you would know what I mean. Any doubts, tune into ‘india’s got talent’ on colors.
4. Saira banu – now this was an eye popping beauty. In the text book sense. And perhaps the sexiest in the list (though I think the butts were a little big) humongous eyes, perfect lips, perfect face cut, impossibly perfect complexion, she pierces my heart every time she appears in any song on TV. And then that voice. Kya khanak thi. Donty miss the towel dance in old ‘victoria no 203’ (thoda sat hero song) and nehle pe dehla’ short dress scenes.
3. hema malini – now I may have put her at no 3 position for theoretical reasons but she is my ultimate no1 beauty. As a kid I had heard words like ‘apsara’ ‘fairy’ ‘and pari’ but I could never visualize. And then I watched a song from abhinetri on TV. And in an instant I knew what uravashi, rambha, apsara looked like. Perfect oval face, huge expressive eyes, lips to die for, cute cute cheeks, full Indian figure, hema mailini was not called dream girl for nothing. I m sure every time god wants to create a beautiful woman he keeps a photograph of hers in front. And that childlike innocence was to die for!
2. madhubala- though most ppl call her the most beautiful heroine ever I would put her at no 2 as she appeared mostly in black & white films and that hides a lot of flaws, especially those of skin. Not that she had many. Her broad jawline is the only thing that doesn’t work for me. Rest was perfect. Porcelain beauty with perhaps the most beautiful lips and eyes ever, and when her lovely hair fell on her face, it was qayamt. Also she looked so mischievous and unattainable that it enhanced her beauty.
1. Katrina kaif – now what can be better than this. I don’t think a more beautiful woman can be born. A perfect combination of beauty and sex appeal, polish and class. To begin with I die the moment she says a word in her accented hindi. Then her skin is so fair I am afreaid of touching her (not that I have an opportunity) lest she shall be sullied. Those beautiful eyes can kill with just one look. The most innocent and beautiful lips I have ever seen, like a six year old baby (don’t even think I am a pedophile) the shape of her face is perfect. Your eyes get stuck on that neck so much that you miss what she is saying. And then what style. Now she is the kind of girl I would wanna marry tomorrow, graduation/mba/job gayi bhaad mein.