Dil Hai Chota Sa…Choti si Asha

Sur na saje kya gaoon main – sur ke bina Jeevan soona…….

Dear All

The name is Sen….Tanned Sen. By way of introduction – I am quite immature for my age and quite mature for NG..haha

When it comes to Bollywood – I am a huge fan of Shammi Kapoor and Dilip Kumar. I am an even bigger fan of Kishore and Rafi and Mukesh and Lata and other singers of that generation. I like Madhuri for pretty much everything except that her last name is Nene and not Sen!

As for my attitude towards life – well Amitabh(with Rafi’s sonorous voice) said it best in Naseeb – Yun Yaaron ka main yaar – dushmanon ka dushman……………..

Been watching the debate and back and forth on the Chammak Challos and the DK Bose’s – I guess music means different things to different people. Having grown up as a 70s boy, 80s teen, 90s romantic, 20..’s family man(!) – the musical taste has also wavered over time. But I dare say that musical taste is imbibed into someone in their teens – and so it was for me. I lived on a diet of Ilayaraja and Rafi and Kishore and Mukesh….you get the drift. Oh ya – as good as Hindi songs are – the old Tamil songs are far far more dearer to me. It is fair to say that music is what attracted me to movies rather than the other way around.

Music comes in different forms at you – but I have classified them into my own distinctive 5 categories – melody, voice, lyrics, emotional rush and adrenaline rush. A few examples of each to make my point…

Melody
Aagaya Gangai from Dharma Yudham

Jab deep chale aana from Chit Chor

Voice

Sur na sajey by Manna Dey (lyrics are great too but voice overrides everything here)

Lyrics

Main zindagi ke saath from Hum Donon

Emotional Rush

Khar Chale from Haqueeqat – easily my most favorite song of all time

Luka Chupi from Rang De basanti

Adrenaline Rush

Dhan tanan…..

Chaiya Chaiya from Dil Se

There is a sixth category of Devotional music which I will cover in a separate post.

Musical tastes are gonna differ based on mood, what you are looking for, when you hear it etc etc etc. Personally – am a little perplexed at the modern day musical trends – but then it’s a sign of the times. When you are at a party – you want a adrenaline rush, when you are at home – you need melody and voice, when you are drinking scotch or having a joint – you need lyrics ? – tho the Floyd junkies wont agree with that and everybody needs a Emotional Rush once in a while.

In the modern times – 2 albums have fascinated me with their completeness – Dil Se and Lagaan – more of this as we go along

Over the course of my next few blabberings on NG – I am going to dissect music in every which way I can – coz Music is what makes me tick…

I am a melody, voice and lyrics guy – what are you Bose DK…!

1. suprabh
    suprabh
    July 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM

@Tanned Sen

Very good post. I have heard all the songs you’ve posted (I am sure most others have too)…Very varied yet dear choices.

Jab deep chalien aana and Sur n Saje are my personal favorites. I remember my grandfather playing the latter on his collection of records…

2. BBOI
    BBOI
    July 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Thanks Mr. Sen for the post. It gave some insight into your inner-self and the music fan.

I was big music lover in my teens (90s) but the necessities of life, their demands, efforts in fulfilling those demands and strictly no time schedule for music took me away from music. I thought there would be time when I would relive the music again but a decade has gone and my thoughts are still thoughts.

3. rks
    rks
    July 6, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Good post..

4. Naveed
    Naveed
    July 6, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Very good post Sen.

For me 90’s is the best in terms of music with Aashiqui and Saajan especially. I love almost all songs of Udit, Kumar Sanu and Sonu with Alka etc of the 90’s.

I can listen to songs of today but I eventually go back to the 90’s coz they give me extra pleasure.

5. Raju Guide
    Raju Guide
    July 6, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Welcome Sen.

6. Arise_Awake
    Arise_Awake
    July 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Welcome on board Mr Sen…

Very few songs affect me,being very selective in almost everything I suppose, but there is one song in your list that gives wings to my soul and lets my mind to soar to unknown planes of consciousness and the song is Main zindagi ka khawab… OH man what a poetry and music by jaidev..

” Gham aur khushi na mehsoos ho jahan, na mehsoos ho jahan
    Main dil ko uss mukaam pay lataa chala gaya”..

Sumum Bonum of Philosophy…

also Luka chupi especially rehman and lata alap at the end…..

Rest of songs are good but they are tiny peaks……

7. Raju Guide
    Raju Guide
    July 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM

“Gham aur khushi na mehsoos ho jahan, na mehsoos ho jahan
    Main dil ko uss mukaam pay lataa chala gaya”

Yeah, AA – thats my fav line in that. Agree about other songs – not my cup of tea.

8. sandy
    sandy
    July 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Mr Sen – thanks for the post. The first song is here is very special to me. The others are nice songs too. And great to see you put up your first post. Your writing is simple, lucid and very heart-felt.

9. Arise_Awake
    Arise_Awake
    July 6, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Hum Dono has another gem, Which IMHO is one of the best love songs ever filmed in BW

Abhi naa jaavo chhod kar ki dil abhi bara nahin….

10. sputnik
    sputnik
    July 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

@Tanned Sen,

Love the song from Hum Dono

For me the best lines are also

“.’Barbadiyon ka shok manana fizool tha…..
    barbadiyon ka jashn manatha chala gaya’. ”

Dil Se to me is the best music album of Rahman and Chaiyya Chaiyya – great music and great lyrics by Gulzar.

11. BBOI
    BBOI
    July 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM

“Sometimes – we set ourselves very big goals and go nowhere.”

Mr. Sen, I guess I do not agree with that. I believe in philosophy of set big (realistic) goals. Since I qualified I have been a wannabe CFO of some listed company.

I guess I am in aw of the same and just today after commenting on this very thread, received a good news. I am one step more close to my goal :)

Wo, kehte hain na Sirji – Always Hit For A Moon, Even If You Miss, You Will Land On Stars :)

12. ROONEY_10
    ROONEY_10
    July 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

hey finally we have our local tansen ;) thnks suprabh for giving him posting rights.. i had even mailed rohit abt it

13. ROONEY_10
    ROONEY_10
    July 6, 2011 at 5:22 PM

@bboi/sen

“Some goals are so worthy, it’s glorious even to fail”.

– Param Vir Chakra Manoj Pandey.

(character played by ajay devgn in LOC Kargil)

14. BBOI
    BBOI
    July 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Thanks Mr. Sen for the song :)

Well, do not really like this particular line in the song “Aaj Fir Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai”. Its the goal which keeps me kicking and driving “everyday” :)

Nevertheless, a brilliant song in all aspects whether performance, singing, music or lyrics.

15. rajesh
    rajesh
    July 6, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Thanks Mr. Sen for the post. I also used to be a big music lover during my bachelorhood days. In fact, I was so choosy about songs that I never bought prepaid audio cassettes. I had a huge list of my favourite songs which I got recorded on blank audio cassettes. These cassettes are still with me but things have changed once I get married. I still love music, but didn’t get enough time ro relish it.
    nevertheless, my favourite songs are on pan drive now and I listen these sometimes while driving home to office or vice versa (when I am not in mood of listening FM).

16. dwnpiyush
    dwnpiyush
    July 6, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Mr. Sen- Congratulations on your first post- looking forward to more from you-
    I can quite understand your logic of these five distinctions- and how mood and setting affects your choice of music-

And you included many songs that I absolutely love- so thank you for that too :)

17. dwnpiyush
    dwnpiyush
    July 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM

@Mr. Sen – You got it right :) I am beyond a fan I guess- The Harry Potter world was a weekend getaway for me till a year back- I used to just devour the books over and over again-
    But I am not as fond of the HP movies- I feel they skim over a lot of important plot details- and generally lack the depth the books have (understandable coz of constraints of screen time)

I will definitely watch it in the first weekend- and Ya I agee ZNMD will be badly affected by it- Guzaarish also opened with HP movie (part 7 A) and it got obliterated- so hard luck for Hrithik Roshan…

And good to know that your kids got you converted into a Fan :) Hope you all enjoy the movie- and find it up to expectations-Just one thing- If your kids are fans just on the basis of the movies- then do buy them the books- you wont regret it- if they do read the books too- then Happy reading to them and to you too :)

18. danish
    danish
    July 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

aur aapka naam tanned sen kyun hai? kahin ladke ka rang kaala to nahin???

19. Nilda
    Nilda
    July 7, 2011 at 12:33 AM

“Gham aur khushi na mehsoos ho jahan, na mehsoos ho jahan
    Main dil ko uss mukaam pay lata chala gaya”

My fav lines too…

Very Nice post Mr. Sen.

20. Rocky
    Rocky
    July 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Tainted Sen- Maza aa gaya aapkee first post dekh kar… you are the original Bose system- here are my picks per your categories-

melody,

1. Beedi Jala Ley jigar sey piya
    2. Dus bahane kar ke le gayee dil

21. suprabh
    suprabh
    July 7, 2011 at 12:49 AM

@Tanned Sen

You are right..Bringing in family members will not be tolerated. However the way I read the comment was in a delhi way..In delhi if you want to adress me and say, that I am very smart..or something like that…you address it colloquially as “Ladka bada smart hai” or “Ladke ki baat mei dum hai”..I think Danish is in Delhi, so I dont think He was bringing in your family members..but talking about you…He can clarify more here..

22. suprabh
    suprabh
    July 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM

@Danish

In any case, I dont find that comment in good taste..,kisi ke rang ki baat kahan se aayi Danish? Rang kaala ho ya gora..tumhe isse kya? Jis kaam se is forum pe aate ho..usi se matlab rakho!!..Nahi toh I’ll for sure BLACKlist you from here….

23. Rocky
    Rocky
    July 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

aanaa hee pada- you had Amitabh, Shammi , Kishore Kumar , Rafi and Naseeb in one thread……………..

24. suprabh
    suprabh
    July 7, 2011 at 1:01 AM

@Tanned Sen

Thats from Gumnaam…. ha ha ha ha ha ha

25. ROONEY_10
    ROONEY_10
    July 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM

@suprabh- i guess if someone says in a delhi manner, than he shud say that to a delhi guy :)

i guess what can be good at one palce cant be good in entire country or world :)

and i am not on the comment but atleast

“aur aapka naam tanned sen kyun hai? kahin ladke ka rang kaala to nahin???”

see i can see the fun part, but seriously i can say if that was directed at me, i did have taken contempt at it. thats how i interprete that.

my two cents, and vehemently object to it.

26. Rocky
    Rocky
    July 7, 2011 at 1:02 AM

I think it is from Desh Premi and the song is – Gorey nahee hum Kaale sahee….

27. Rocky
    Rocky
    July 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM

yaar Rooney – No offence but sometimes your comments remind me of the Dilip Kumar Clone who just kept saying all the time – Meeeeeee looord- objection, meee lord…I object meeeeeeelord…………..meeeelord

just kidding sir jee…….

28. Nilda
    Nilda
    July 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Here’s my list

Melody
    1. O saathi re din dube na.
    2. Parbaton ke pedon par
    (actually can’t decide so many of them )

Voice,
    1. Kaise bataayein kyun tujhko chaahein. (kailash Kher)
    2. Lag ja gale..

Lyrics
    1. Ab ke baras bhej bhaiya ko baabul
    2. Mera Kuch Saaman tumhare paas

Emotional rush,
    1. Chodh aaye hum woh galiyan..
    2. Yeh lamhe yeh pal hum
    3. Phoolon ka taroon ka sabka kehna hai

Adrenaline Rush
    1. Dhan te Nan
    2. Switty switty tera pyaar chahida

29. ROONEY_10
    ROONEY_10
    July 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM

@rocky- hehe.. but the fact is i would have liked that along with the fun part u could have seen the seriousness of the situation one of the reasons NG shud be fun is civility…

30. RAJ
    RAJ
    July 7, 2011 at 3:57 AM

Tanned Sen,

A very good post..NIce selection of songs …Like many here,i had been a music lover in my teens..Used to listen to Kishore and Rafi songs day and night…But as times passed,chewing gum muisc became order of the day…Your post and Suprabh”s regular muisc thread are indeed great opportunity to get in touch with my musical leanings…