Thank You Still Leads At The Box Office

Thank You dominated the box office this week despite the release of Teen Thay Bhai.

Teen Thay Bhai grossed around 2.50 crore nett over the weekend, some multiplexes showed a jump over the weekend but not enough to make a real difference to its final box outcome.

Thank You had a decent second weekend of around 7 crore nett. The drop from first weekend was 60% but low opening has hurt the film badly. The film had good collections on Sunday at most places. The ten day business of the film is around 35.75 crore nett. The second week should do business of around 10 crore nett.

Gorillas are the largest of the living primates. They are ground-dwelling herbivores that inhabit the forests of Africa. Gorillas are divided into two species and (still under debate as of 2008) either four or five subspecies. The DNA of gorillas is 98%–99% identical to that of a human, and they are the next closest living relatives to humans after the two chimpanzee species.......To cut a long story short, I am the kaala bander residing inside YOU!

Related posts

1. Samwal said:

@ Gorilla,

Are the various rights like satellite,music,DVD and overseas with Producers or with Distribitors ?
    Which rights are with producers and which are with the distributors ?

2. Naveed said:

Ok I’ll be the first to admit that I did not expect this film to hold up as well as it has (after I watched the film last Fri).

However, I stick by my views that 42 is what it will achieve but seeing how its faring 45 is definitely on the cards.

3. Shalu said:

Naveed, I too thought it was a goner. And the fact that it is doing well even after a not-so-good opening should be acknowledged. If producers lose money on it, it will be because of the bad opening, not because of the movie itself. And that is why giving weightage to trending is so important.

4. Manish said:

rest of the territories have been sold at 15 crore to sub distributors . had UTV kept even other territories with it , the chances of success would have been better just like TMK which fell badly but still was profitable to them

5. RAJ said:

“And that is why giving weightage to trending is so important.”

The irony is even if the producres give weitage to trending,it aint going to benefit their balance sheet …Hence my point stands…A movie has to justify its budget in the first 10 days…Else,it can never earn profit…

The bigger the budget,the bigger the numbers it has to put up within first 10 days….

6. Shalu said:

Raj, A movie is not a success because the producer/distributors made money on it – it is only commercially profitable. For eg. TMK, FALTU – both flops for the audience but made money.

A successful film is one which is liked by the audience. And when a movie is liked by the audience it trends well – not only for the first 10 days but for many weeks.

And I disagree that a movie has to ‘justify its budget’. A movie is a standalone entity. It is the producer and lead actors who have to justify the budget of a movie by ensuring a big opening. I repeat – TY’s commercial failure is due to the bad opening, not due to the movie itself. Those who enjoyed the movie will remember it as a hit. And everybody is going to remember TMK as a flop even though it benefited the producer’s balance sheets.

7. Samwal said:

Raj

I think u didn’t read my reply to u in Thread – ” Thank You 30.50 ” by Tango .I ve spoted some light on the facts so that u can know that

1. 1st 10 day formula is not fine

2. Giving 100 % value to trending is wrong & illogical , but Shalu has different point of view for judging,acc to his/her view he/she is right …. but generaly there is no chance to consider trending 100 % fr the verdict .

3. Ur view of ignoring the Trending line wholy is also incorrect.Bcoz trending line need to be considered to the extent of 15-20% while setting a verdict, rest 80% for D.ROI & Collections per print .

Plz read that thread by Tango by clicking ” Older Posts “

8. Shalu said:

Samwal, I agree with what you say. Your logic makes complete sense when looked at from a trade analyst’s point of view.

But I’m not a trade analyst and my theory is on the lines that a movie should be called what it deserves to be called. My logic is not that of a trade analyst but that of a common man. I value a movie on how much it has been liked, not how much it earned.

9. Naveed said:

@ shalu – again very sensible and fair points from you. However let’s see how much TY makes in it’s 4th and 5th week.

Many are quick to jump at how DABBANG managed a meager (lol) 144 crore after a massive opening but according to BOI DABANGG had the highest 6th week collections. That says a lot about how much it was liked. :)

10. suprabh said:

@naveed

Kya fark padta hai yaar,,,,,kisne kitne banaye..kisi se zyada ya kam…movie dekho..achhi lage toh tareef karo nahi toh criticise karo…paise bane ya naa bane..hame kya ?

11. Naveed said:

THE REAL TRUTH on THANK YOU

Okay, so what’s the status on THANK YOU? The PR machinery would like us to believe that the film will recover costs, but the truth is THANK YOU is a losing proposition. Ask the distributors who have acquired the film and you will get the correct picture. The business is definitely better than Akshay’s PATIALA HOUSE, but that’s no compliment.

Also, the figures pertaining to the Satellite Rights and Music Rights, reported in a section of the media, are way off the mark. Oh yes, the figures are inflated; just to prove that the film will have a smooth sailing, as far as the economics are concerned. Nope, it won’t!

Taran Adarsh – BH

12. Naveed said:

@ suprabh – Yes I am aware of TY collections and I have discussed this with Shalu but what I have posted above from BH is pretty interesting and tells a rather more clear picture.

13. Shalu said:

Naveed, I guess everybody has accepted that TY is going to lose money inspite of being liked – all because of the bad opening. BOI is also saying the same thing as TA but in a less harsher way.

14. Samwal said:

Suprabh, appreciate ur thinking

Naveed,Shalu …. Yes I think it is clear that disributors of THANK YOU will lose some money, but actualy there r many movies in bollywood where dist. lose money like Mnik(domestic), KI, Veer, Khuda Gawah(1992),Andaz Apna Apna etc but cannot be tagged as flop. WHY ????

Bcoz other than D.ROI, there are some another components of Verdict, these are Net Business per print, Trending Line & Producers ROI ( how much did producers earned. And these 3 points are quite favourable for these movies like I listed above.

So, These movies r AVERAGE. And THANK YOU will be AVERAGE at BO.

Conclusion – Producers should think about distributors while earning huge amt. The should sold movie at lesser price and must ve a policy of 20 % of share in profits if movie reached at 100 cr. So, that no party lose the money inspite of decent performance of movie.

15. Naveed said:

@ samwal – dude I don’t quite see why your bringing in all those other films. The film in question is TY. At this moment distributors will lose money therefore this film most probably will be a flop (others with more knowledge can clarify).

Plus it’s all hypothetically speaking naa that the producers should think about distributors. Infact I LOL coz it’s a dog eat dog world dude. In business (and that’s what it is) no 1 cares for any1 really.