Here is MY list of top performances.I wish you too while responding to this article,write your top 5 fav performances and write at least two lines justifying it.
1. Darsheel Safary: Taare Zameen Par.This child made the best of actors look trivial.He carried a movie on his shoulders and drove it to blockbuster status. Forget Aamir here,because Darsheel,the actor overshadowed everything else and everyone else to emerge as a charm that was eluding from the big screen for a long time. Such was the emphasis and grace of performance that even likes of SRK got overshadowed big time. He enlightened the screen with his innocence.But it was not only his innocence,it was his eyes that spoke volumes,his mannerism that perfectly blended with the expected outcome of the particular scene. Take a bow Darsheel,you made a flawed screenplay metamorphose into a masterpiece!!
2. Nasseruddin Shah/Anupam Kher:A Wednesday. Two character artist who were pitted against one another,two great actors who played their parts with the ultimate grace and might.If one was clever and suave,the other was quick and smart.If one had a message to convey,the other had a message to extrapolate.If one had a common man’s perspective,the other had a police man’s method. If one was clear in his agenda,the other was balanced in his aproach towards negating it.Combined they gave one of the most dignified performances to create a masterpiece of sorts. They beautifully supplemented each other,individually too they were brilliant!!
3. Ajay Devgan: The man while doing intense roles can create magic..that is a time tested truth,be it Company,Apaharan,Once Upon A Time In Mumbai. Gangaajal and The Legend of Bhagat Singh are two movies where the man held the screen in a mighty way and inspite of not being Â a star with great screen-presence,he emerged a complete winner. Infact he lit the screen up with those serious eyes that again speak a thousand words in the silence glare.Although his portrayal capabilities suit him for serious role mainly,but still one cannot see that as a reason for not counting the brilliant performance .
4. Shahrukh Khan: Swades. No Guesses with this one! All and One agree with the performance that is aptly ranked as his best and truly deserves a mention in this list. A man returns from a foreign land to understand the harsh realities and problems of the rural india,the transformation of outlook portrayed by SRK mesmerising,although the length of the movie was a minus point but still the man held the attention in an unprecedented manner.The restrained attitude,the simplicity of the performance won hearts. Irrespective of the BO prospects,the movie went down as the 75th best movie in the Top 100 foreign movies listed largely due to the scintillating portrayal by SRK. Mohan was an antithesis to Raj/Rahul and by far has remained the best of SRK.
5. Siddharth: RDB had a big name-Aamir Khan-the man who then had just started to redefine Hindi Cinema. But amongst the lot,a boyish face won hearts.The script had favoured him…true..but still the justice that was needed to justify the favour came from the man called Siddharth,a superstar of the south. The eyes again did the trick here.He spoke less but the agony he reflected on his face was touching.The angst and frustration at the pathetic state of affairs that covered the horizon of his face gave the much needed impetus to a movie that will be remembered to start the fire of the particular thought that Cinema can change people’s attitude in real lives. Sidhharth in some scenes overshadowed Aamir,that itself is an impossible job to do,if he did it,he deserves whole credit for it!! The transpiration of the pain from the heart to the face and from there to the audience’s heart was a constant phenomenom throughout the movie!! Kudos Sidhharth.
The next installment of this Top 5 Series will include top 5 movies.And Pheww,i am at loss as Aamir and his movies crop up at all corners.