Box Office: Housefull Lives Up To Its Name and Gives Akshay Kumar His Biggest Opening Ever

Housefull lived up to its name with a super response at the box office of 85-90% on huge volume. The evening shows were going house full at most places in the country. Some areas recorded humungous collections on its first day. The critics may not have liked it but public reports are better and the film should emerge a major success.

Akshay Kumar has his biggest opening ever in the form of Housefull. The early estimates also suggest the second biggest first day in the history of Hindi cinema. Based on very early estimates the first day business of Housefull is around the 10 crore nett region. This easily smashes the 7.25 crore nett for Singh is Kinng and 7.50 crore nett for Kambakkht Ishq which were the biggest first day openers of Akshay Kumar.

Housefull is doing tremendous business at multiplexes all over India in its evening shows. Delhi and East Punjab are seeing bumper collections at multiplexes while other places are excellent.

The places where the start was slightly slower in the morning shows showed improvement in the evening. There are some single screens which are below expectations in CP Berar and Bihar but overall this will not make much difference to overall scenario.

Housefull is looking to settle behind the record 13 crore nett of Three Idiots as the second biggest first day in the history of Hindi cinema but it has to be noted that the Three Idiots record was achieved on Christmas Day holiday which is regarded as the biggest day of the year for box office collections in India today. This makes Housefull the biggest non holiday opening day in the history of Hindi cinema.

1. Doga
    Doga
    April 30, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Just saw housefull, liked it.

Weekend will be there around 32-33 cr or so.

Movie might fall from Monday onwards but i think will be nothing like 2009 stuff.

I see an Akki hit here.

2. Doga
    Doga
    April 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM

This was my first Akki movie in theatre after almost 15 years, going with below expectations was good.

I think even if Movie falls like MNIK, will do 75 + cr.

Little better will take it to 80 cr.

Will it fall worse than MNIK, i dont think so.

3. Doga
    Doga
    April 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Gorilla, my place here has 17 shows(only MNIK had 19), no other movie running here.

I saw the movie alone(so Housefull is oxymoron for me, its Emptyfull for me :) ) in the 2nd show here, but saw people coming for other later shows.

4. Doga
    Doga
    April 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

But usually not many come for first 3-4 shows here, only 8 pm onwards shows start having bigger capacity.

5. vinodparate
    vinodparate
    April 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM

kool…. where alll those astrologer gone….. housefull will do average business???? hahahahha!

6. sophie
    sophie
    May 1, 2010 at 12:22 AM

so finally Akki gonna have a hit after a dud year in 2009 :D

fingers crossed :)

7. Hazardinbizzare
    Hazardinbizzare
    May 1, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I guess 50 cr 1st week is ensured……@ Doga- At wat price was it sold?? Nd how much does it need to reach hit status??

8. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 1, 2010 at 1:10 AM

A 10 cr opening day was expected after the drought with such a big release where max potential for a day is 17-18 cr … its roughly 60% opening overall … which is very good … but the commentary is going overboard here.

The question here is will the movie sustain? how well?

80 cr will be a very good total for this movie, i wud rather see how it goes from Monday onwards rather than jumping the gun here.

9. Ihab
    Ihab
    May 1, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Well, I was sure this movie would make atleast 10 crores on First Day. Its been months (excluding MNIK) since a masala comedy and people were dying to watch a good paisa vasool movie in theatre. Also, lot of people had enough of “sports”.. So, I am not at all surprised that HF managed to make 10 crs..

I was actually expecting a 11-12 crs for first day becoz some reports suggested 18-20 crs gross on first day.. Anyuways, 10 crs is no joke and the movie is definately on the way to make atleast 32 crs in first 3 days. And I am not even expecting a fall on monday becoz people are in holiday mood and are definately going to watch HF as there is no good release until Kites, wich is 3 weeks away (I am sure Badmaash Company will be a dud which releases on 7th May). So, This movie is definately gonna make around 85-90 crs from India.

Man… If HF has managed to make arnd 10 crs on firstday.. I wonder what Kites will do. Somehow I have this feeling that Kites is going to have an EPIC opening which will shatter 3 Idiots opening records..

10. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Housefull First Day Business

Saturday 1st May 2010 16.00 IST

Boxofficeindia.Com Trade Network

Housefull grossed around 9 crore nett approx on day one. This is the third highest ever first Friday business behind Three idiots and Ghajini. Both of those films were releases over the Christmas period.

The approx territorial breakdowns are as follows.

Mumbai – 3.30 crore

Mysore – 35 lakhs

Others – 20 lakhs

TOTAL – 8.90 crore

11. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 3:53 AM

So its behind 3I and Ghajini (which came in christmas time).Monday % fall is crucial now.

12. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Good first day show indeed (considering recent flops of akshay) but lets make a judgement after first week collections.

13. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 1, 2010 at 4:06 AM

Nothing strange here … i dont swear by BOI numbers … but from what i have seen of them they first give rough estimates and them give produce totals or more exact estimates … on akshay films they first go hyper and then calm down … happened with KI too just for an example.

14. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 1, 2010 at 4:08 AM

Manoj – its better to give a judgment after knowing the end total

15. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM

Nahta rocks

Of course ,but we know that end totals are subject to the “dreaded’ Monday falls.The first week collections would give us a rough idea what the end total is likely to be.

16. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 4:14 AM

yeah I remember BOI hyperventilating during KI!

17. Hazardinbizzare
    Hazardinbizzare
    May 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM

I too feel that BOI hyperventilates when it comes to akki movie….I mean i read an article during january where it was talking HF as one of the biggest release nd i dont find it givin such articles for others way before its release…..Nd thats not the only time….I’ve found such examples in previous years as well….Kinda strange!!! Hope we dont find some day that its run by some akki fans! Lol

18. MrCool
    MrCool
    May 1, 2010 at 4:41 AM

just wait for Action Replayy.

19. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 6:51 AM

agree,lets just wait for action replay and Raavan (for Mrcool’s sake)……till they flop :P

20. Tango
    Tango
    May 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM

BOI have always jumped the gun for most big films and try to put up breaking news about numbers without waiting for confirmations, only ending up contradicting their own numbers.

They should pay heed to the adage – Better to be safe than sorry.

21. Akshay
    Akshay
    May 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Ihab – How are you doing buddy? Kites breaking 3I record? Out of question. I think we al must realize what happened with 3I was quite phenomenal, almost some hysteria. I don’t see that even coming close with Kites. Ofcourse I would love to be wrong :)

22. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Akshay

I agree.What happened with 3I was indeed phenomenal.The way it sustained over the weeks was exemplary too.Kites might not break 3I record but I am expecting 50 cr opening atleast or else its a huge disappointment.

23. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM

” If he is right, then i will be happy. ”

Totally agree :)

24. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM

just 50 cr opening for Kites will be disappointing in many ways.

25. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Agree nahta rocks.but by the above,I mean 50 cr is bare minimum for hrithik to save the blushes!

26. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM

given the genre, star, wide release, hype – even a turkey will bring in 50 cr in opening week … but its what happens after the first 2-3 days that counts … thats where 3I made history – not in the opening day or weekend figures … those records will soon go … but getting close to 200 cr or doing more than 100 cr in first 10 days are the historic records … more so than 80 cr week 1 (which of course is great a smaller achievement compared to the end gross).

27. Nahta Rocks
    Nahta Rocks
    May 2, 2010 at 1:34 AM

MNIK’s 44 cr is the most recent example … and that one did not even have a genre advantage.

28. manoj16_391
    manoj16_391
    May 2, 2010 at 1:42 AM

NR

I guess you are right here.lets see…

Of course,as for 3I,I agree,more than the opening,its trending was incredibly solid!