My thoughts on J.T.Y.J.N

After reading all reviews of ‘Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na’, I had hardly expected to be surprised or ‘refreshed’ (as reviews stereotype the movie as ‘refreshing’) by the movie. But I did end up being surprised.

Hard to miss that this guy Abbas wrote ‘Main Hoon Na’… Because, the movie is skillfully interspersed with dramatic spoofy moments. I surely did not expect a spoof.

As I watched, the amatuer (self acclaimed) critic inside me kept churning severe judgements like “filmy college”, “Neurotic parents”, “spoofy storyline”, “Absence of back ground music … Makes the narration rather stage acting like”, “BORE”, “desperately tries to be cool” etc …And then bang! I noticed ‘Imran Khan’…

Someone that my friends(girls) immediately branded as ‘cute’. The guy does have something. He appears natural on screen. He isn’t as stiff as Neil or as rubbery as Ranbir or as dashing as Hrithik in KNPH.

He is almost like Jugal Hansraj with a lot more likeability.Right now its his onscreen personality as ‘Rats’ (Jai) which has made a mark.

There are chances that this particular personality that could have been established by mere mannerism which could get stale with exposure. But for sure he has a cool sense of comic timing.

I have got to add a few lines about ‘Genelia’. Most of our current Bollywood female leads lack the screen presence, charm and conviction this puny little girl has. Kudos to her.

I have watched a couple of her South Indian flicks. She is particularly special for Telugu film audience afer Bommarillu, through which she established her niche in playing the famous innocent and bubbly oddball character.

Her style of emoting can be funny/endearing at first but an overdose can irriate. Here she isn’t as odd as I had expected (thankfully).

Coming back to the movie, story wise wise, there isn’t anything new. Execution did not thrill me. I wouldn’t accept that it is ‘refreshing’ or very ‘entertaining’ as reviews say.

Looks like people are unfairly in a mood to accept this movie. Its good because nothing else is better seems to be the reason. And then there are psuedos who would rename anything with Aamir’s name in it to something good. :(

1. satyam
    satyam
    July 17, 2008 at 6:28 AM

“Looks like people are unfairly in a mood to accept this movie. Its good because nothing else is better seems to be the reason. And then there are psuedos who would rename anything with Aamir’s name in it to something good.”

I am amused by your first sentence here! Let’s the people have been rather ‘unfair’ at many points. Should I start naming some films?!

On your last sentence I guess the ‘pseudos’ have to learn some impartiality from SRK or Hrithik fans!

2. Ravi
    Ravi
    July 17, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Nice set of thoughts Nithya and you are spot on with respect to Genelia.

I hope this is the last time I agree with you Nithya, otherwise I fear something is very wrong with me.

3. jayshah
    jayshah
    July 17, 2008 at 7:00 AM

I was really enjoying it until the last paragraph. It felt like a trap (I knew it) and I still fell for it. So much for my intellect :-)

Oh well, I am going back to my tea and cupcakes party with all the other snobby people I associate myself with! LOL! The queen is my guest today, we will be discussing how great JTYJN was. And adding Aamir’s name to the list of honours next year to be knighted!

4. Kunal27
    Kunal27
    July 17, 2008 at 7:07 AM

Looks like somebody got a crush on Imran :P

Apart from praising Imran and Genelia part…. I agree with everything you have written there.

5. Achilles
    Achilles
    July 17, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Good set of thoughts here.

6. rockstar
    rockstar
    July 17, 2008 at 8:07 AM

good write up

“I have watched a couple of her South Indian flicks. She is particularly special for Telugu film audience afer Bommarillu, through which she established her niche in playing the famous innocent and bubbly oddball character”

agree there she fits into college going girl perfectly

she was good in tujhe meri kasam to

7. rockstar
    rockstar
    July 17, 2008 at 8:27 AM

nithi: just my personal opinion i thought her accent was a problem but again atleast she dubs her voice which even some of the new bollywood actresses don’t do , ya it will be difficult for haraman and ranbir to match siddharth

8. satyam
    satyam
    July 17, 2008 at 8:34 AM

Nithi_s: Ah.. you were actually referring to people you work with and not those on NG! It would require some intelligence to figure this out!

On the rest I see that Abhishek’s ghost is haunting this discussion as well! I stand by the Guru comment incidentally!

9. satyam
    satyam
    July 17, 2008 at 8:45 AM

By the way I don’t recall anyone going gaga over JTYJN over here. I certainly had this reaction with TZP and I devoted a long piece to it. On the other hand I found JTYJN enjoyable enough and wrote a brief comment on it. Yes, I have gone gaga over the box office because I am thrilled with the film’s success. And yes I am thrilled BECAUSE it’s AAMIR’s production and is a HUGE feather in his cap. This film has just about become an Aamir release (as if he had starred in it!). But also JTYJN is a genuine superhit/blockbuster. A 5-7 crore film making this kind of money, it’s a historic hit. It’s not like some of the year’s other hits/superhits that were questionable in terms of profitability (and I’m not talking Jannat here!).

10. rockstar
    rockstar
    July 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM

agree to a little extent but again everyone will have different opinion on it isn’t it but its a fact to most of the directors have given their best product with aamir only

11. satyam
    satyam
    July 17, 2008 at 8:55 AM

Since Rks has closed the other thread let me respond briefly here:

Mr Bond: yes I know which I why I did not take offense!

Qalandar: Thanks.. it’s a point I often try to make..

Jay: Agreed on your star son thing. Raj Kapoor as I pointed out is the biggest example. Of course it’s humorous to see a position being posited whereby it’s ok to get that first big break because of a connection but not any future ones! I wonder why Roshan then had to do a rescue job and reinvent his son with KMG and Krrish! Anyway don’t want to relaunch that thread here but this kind of split is bizarre to say the least.

12. Rocky
    Rocky
    July 17, 2008 at 8:59 AM

Jay , agree with Ravi, very nice thoughts on star sons.

13. rks
    rks
    July 17, 2008 at 9:01 AM

Nithi: Good thoughts.. I disagree with execution comment..I think that was the only part which saved the movie..Holistically, it is barely a decent movie..Then it tells us the the stuff we churn out of bollywood that a movie which is barely better than other is doing wonderful business.

Jay: That was a good comment in other thread.

Aside: I just cringe the way the fight started in other thread. We are adults, we need to give respect to others and expect some respect in return.

14. Mr. Bond
    Mr. Bond
    July 17, 2008 at 9:19 AM

Agreed rks, and I will try not to retaliate again but some people make personal attack just because you criticize a star (everyone has his/her opinion). I have hardly been commenting for months but have been following enough to know that certain members become too rude and resort to personal attack and I was already sick of it and lost my mind. I will be much more careful next time as I know its not worth it. I will also go back to my occasional commenting.

15. jayshah
    jayshah
    July 17, 2008 at 9:32 AM

nithi – so you liked Imran? Didn’t he remind you of Aamir in anyway?

16. jayshah
    jayshah
    July 18, 2008 at 12:26 AM

He reminded me of Aamir in one scene – the scene where he gets ready to fight early on, he starts to clap his hands and circle that guy, throws his hands round…but in general otherwise except for a bit of similarity in looks, there acting style are different…

“Oh God! This guy is just a clone of Aamir”

I’m it would have made your day…one is not enough for you, another one would have been great!

17. utkal
    utkal
    July 18, 2008 at 12:46 AM

My comments are aimed at all those who keep on harping about the story being nothing new. Come on guys, a film is not its ‘story’ just as a painting is not its subject. And what is making it a monster hot is not that ‘ it’s just about better than all the trash on offer’ but that fact that the audience is connecting with the film and that it feels really DIFFERENT. Many have said that the film is quite ORDINARY. That is it’s strength. It’s not trying to tell a big story a la RDB, or pull out a big melodrama a la DCH ( with a dying Dimple and all that.) And that’s what makes it refreshing. Young audiences all across the country can relate to the characters as real people and not some filmy characters. Its unpretentiousness is what charms you. Just the way HAHK with its ‘ no story/ and ‘ no directorial artistry’ did. But look closely and you will note how cleverly the ‘ordinariness’ has been achieved. How many critics or columnists here noticed that the film had only 3 and half songs choreographed? Or that Imran Khan wore his own clothes? Or how every actor from Naseer and Ratna to Prateek Babbar and the Khan brothers and Paresh Rawal have been so judiciously and optimally used. In fact the screen mother persona of Ratna is as refreshing today as the screen mother portrayed by Reema Lagu was in times of HAHK. That is the kind of generational shift that gives birth to monster hits and next-gen stars.

18. satyam
    satyam
    July 18, 2008 at 9:14 AM

Utkal: A good set of comments here..