Hrithik was soul of ‘Dhoom 2′, says Bipasha

Hrithik was soul of ‘Dhoom 2′, says Bipasha

By Subhash K. Jha,

Bipasha Basu, who played a double role in “Dhoom 2″, is candid enough to admit that the movie was entirely Hrithik Roshan’s show.

“We were all aware that Hrithik was the whole and soul of the film. Luckily, there was no resentment. He worked so hard that no one could grudge his success.

“The rest of us had it easier. But I must say we all have benefited from the film’s success. People said they wanted to see more of me. That surely means they liked me in
the film,” Bipasha told IANS.

After “Dhoom 2″, Bipasha will be playing another double role in Abbas-Mustan’s next.

“I like the space I’ve created for myself. I’m not success-obsessed. I’m a bit of a tortoise.”

Most Bollywood stars have woken up to the fact that actors must have their own websites, and so has Bipasha, who recently launched her website.

“The fan mail is intelligent and overwhelming. People don’t write just to gush. Lots of intelligent discussions. People are happy to discuss serious issues with me.

“I’m glad to know fans see me as more than an actress. They want to share their lives. They want to know my beauty regime thoroughly.”

Bipasha tries to update her website as frequently as possible.

“My public perceptions come through that site. I write a personal diary, though I can’t jot down diary entries every day. The website has brought me closer to my audience.
I’ve always been frank. But here I’m totally myself, exactly the way I want to.”

A new socially conscious Bipasha has associated herself with HIV awareness campaigns and says that she wants to focus on children.

“I want to do more for kids. I think I’m old enough to start taking my social responsibilities seriously. But whatever I’ve to do I’ve to have fun.”

Recently, she danced with HIV patients at a live performance.

“It was for an organisation called Astha which helps to create awareness about AIDS among sex workers. The effort is to tackle the problem at the very basic level. The
campaign for which I danced was named Atma Vishwas (self confidence).

“First, they were in awe of me. Then they were dancing as though they were my buddies. They’ve very sad lives. Yet if I make them smile I feel like a good human-being.”

Bipasha got involved with the project two years ago.

“So far I wasn’t that keenly involved. But now I’m going to be actively involved with it. And I don’t want to be a celebrity endorser. I want to be a part of the fieldwork. I’d rather
dance with the patients than just give them awards. If you become part of their events they feel truly encouraged. It makes them feel more human and accepted.”

Bipasha’s performance went well.

“You know, a live performance may look like a very small contribution from the outside. But for me it’s a very big thing. I suffer from tremendous stage fright. There has to be
a truly valid reason for me to brave it… either big money or a big show. But this time my efforts were really from the heart.

“You know I’m a selfish person. I like myself when I do something for others. I felt good about dancing for a cause on Wednesday. Fortunately, I now have songs like ‘Beedi’
and ‘Dhoom’ to dance to.”

1. cticize
    cticize
    January 31, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Bips ki website..? whats the link ??

2. cticize
    cticize
    January 31, 2007 at 11:12 AM

:) Alrite

3. satyam
    satyam
    January 31, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Here’s the Guru news (for week 2) on your home town Cticicise:

Indore Rs 12,63,242 from 5 screens (72 per cent)

don was doing 3.5 lakhs in the second week here, LRM did probably a little or maybe as much (just the incomplete 56 show total is 6.5 lakhs), Fanaa had 8.6 lakhs, Krrish had 16 lakhs (which according to Taran is a record). Don’t know if D2 crossed this or not.

4. cticize
    cticize
    January 31, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Well Don doing 3.5 and certain films doing certain amount all depends on what has been reported with from a particular center. I remember Taran only reporting 2 multiplex and 2 cinemas for Don in Week and now he only reports the mplex collections of Indore and uses it rather in every of his business Talk.

Guru did well here in Mplexes, i know :).

5. satyam
    satyam
    January 31, 2007 at 3:55 PM

That’s a good point Cticize but that’s also because unless there’s a release like Krrish that does extraordinarily well the business generated from single screens in smaller centers is negligible. I do agree that it still shouldn’t be ommitted. Bollywood has just vanished from large parts of India. Even the collections that the major UP cities put up for the best films are rather pitiful.

This is why though the whole ‘doing well in multiplexes’ argument is a bit of a red herring. Well the current Bollywood economics doesn’t care much about the non-multiplex audience and it’s shrunk to a minimum. PLus even in the smaller centers multiplexes are springing up.

If we had a ‘tickets sold’ measure it would tell us far more about most of these films.

6. cticize
    cticize
    January 31, 2007 at 4:05 PM

‘Tickets Sold’ measure is a distant possibility but its coming as more and more multiplex are being built up. A simple reason for it is Online ticketing and computerized accounting taking place in Multiplexes, the earning on the ticket price is all audited and recorded and hence is in black and white. So Taran Adarsh Putting up multiplex nos. in his analysis is absolutely right. However a large part of single screen theatrical earning isnt disclosed and since it involves a lot of things like Hand checked tickets, extra seats etc etc. They dont give the full figure to the local tax checker.

Well soon by 2008 both CP berar and Bihar will have 5 multiplexes between them, then grosses will triplicate :D.

7. Qalandar
    Qalandar
    January 31, 2007 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, Bollywood has vanished from large parts of India. I remember when Don was released it was playing on a tiny number of prints in all of Allahabad district! and this is one of the biggest films out there! Same was true of other films, barring Krrish and maybe D2, i.e. non-Hritik films even in 2006 have not even registered much. There are large swathes of the traditional Bollyaudience that has effectively “seceded”, some into Bhojpuri films, some into “B-grade” cinema…